My Dentist Has Told Me That My Tooth Is Damaging The Bone But Is Still Strong. Should I Have It Replaced Or Wait?

Hello Dr Moore. I would like clarification on a dental issue I have. I have had problems with my top front tooth for nearly 30 years. I damaged it in my teens and had a root canal performed then. I have subsequently had an apicoectomy twice and repeated root canals from a specialist. I also have a reoccurring cyst in the gum above it. I experience no pain and the tooth is strong. Should I have it replaced now or wait? My current dentist says I should wait as the tooth is strong and I have no pain. He has advised me that it is damaging the bone but over a series of X-rays he feels this is not significant. What should I do? Thank you for your time.
Hello and thank you for getting in touch. If the bone damage is not progressive leave it for now. If it is, then it would be best to remove and replace it. It might be wise to check up on this regularly. If you are still unsure you could always seek out a second opinion. It’s difficult for me to give you a definitive answer without seeing your situation in person and taking X-rays. I hope this helps to clarify your situation a little better. Kind regards, Dr Andrew Moore.
dr andrew moore

Dr Andrew Moore

Advance Dental Clinic
104 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0JG
Web: Tel: 08443 87 87 88

View My Profile Dr Moore

Leave a Reply