Is Periodontal Treatment Available on the NHS?

My daughter, a type 1 diabetic, has been told at hospital she needs a periodontist to help cure her receding gums. She cannot afford private dental treatment as she is unemployed. She smokes too. Are there any periodontal practitioners that practice on the NHS? If not, where do we go from here? She is 30 and afraid of losing her teeth. Her gums have receded a lot, she is careful and cleans them with special brushes. If no NHS treatment is available, what else can she do? Anything she can buy to help at the chemist?
Hi, thank you for your question. Specialist periodontists don’t treat patients on the NHS as a rule. The next option may be to see if your dentist could refer her to a teaching hospital where specialist treatment is available. Regards, Andrew. 
dr andrew moore

Dr Andrew Moore

Advance Dental Clinic
104 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0JG
Web: Tel: 08443 87 87 88

View My Profile Dr Moore

Leave a Reply