Page 2 of 2 First 12

Hi Nick. Not sure if you would class it as a horror story 'clinically' as I'm told the work that has been done so far is very good, but definately a horror story on a personal level. I am TERRIFIED of dental treatment due to real horror stories as a child including being hit by a drunk dentist, having a needle pushed through my cheek and broken, and because of the pain from having treatment as an adult. I know many people can cope with dental pain, but not me!!

Anyway, I was living abroad and researched this dentist as best I could and was satisfied that he was good. I made it clear about my fears, etc. and knew I could not stand treatment without being put to sleep. He told me that I would have general anaesthesia - not sedation. I made the appointment for a consultation and flew out to see him. I got there at 9am and was thoroughly pressured. I am a very careful person normally, but in a dental situation, all good sense leaves me.

He told me what he proposed and there was elements of the plan that I was not happy with and told him that I needed to think about it for a while. He persuaded me to have the initial treatment done there and then while the anaesthetist (that he had brought in from the hospital) was there. The longer I waited the more I would be charged, she was a very busy woman, she was needed back at the hospital, I may not get this chance again ... I agreed as the fear of not having the anaesthetic was greater than anything, at that moment.

I got into the chair and the anaesthetist came in. She did not look at me, asked me no questions, no paperwork - nothing. I am a qualified midwife and know how these things work and all of a sudden it occured to me that I was about to have a GA and there was nothing there. No resus, no oxygen, no intubation tubes/equip, nothing and I went into total panic and tried to run. By this time the venflon was in and the anaesthetic was taking effect. The last I remember I was screaming 'don't let me die'. I woke up at 5.30pm slumped in the waiting room which was full of people all staring at me. I was covered in blood and had urinated. I had been left like it all day. I was partly dragged (as I could not walk) to another room where temps were put in. I was told that I had fought to get away ( I can't remember it) so they had to give me 4 times the dose of anaesthetic!!

I'd had a sinus lift, bone graft, loads of extractions and 5 implants. The following day I had to go back for a check up and I wanted to discuss what he had done as it was not what we had agreed and not what I had wanted. He denied what he had told me the previous day and just shrugged his shoulders each time I tied to argue my point.

Thats why I still have temps in NIck. I have been too afraid and embarassed to go back.

Of course I realised in the cold light of day that I had been given sedation and not a GA, but thats not what I was told I was getting nor what I had paid for. Oh well, serves me right I suppose. I just have to pluck up courage to go visit Pav who is about 10 mins away, and plan a bank job to pay for it!!

Bet you wished you hadn't asked now.

Pammie

Wow, I can totally understand why you didn't return. It's this type of care that causes anxieties and phobias, and as Nick has mentioned already, is an all too familiar story with dental tourism.

At all times patient experience and comfort should be in the mind of a dentist, empathy and genuine care actually leads to a pleasant experience and prevent anxieties that you are now experiencing.

I'm really sorry to hear you've had to go through this!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Yes, you are right Pav. Unfortunately though, I already had deep seated anxiety and phobia before I had this treatment in Budapest. I suppose all it did in the end was to reinforce the reasons I was phobic in the first place. The biggest attraction was that I would be asleep and wake up with nice teeth, or at least all the yakky and painful work would be over. I can cope with any amount of post treatment pain or discomfort, but to sit in that chair and be awake and in pain, just seems inconceivable for me. The fear takes over and I become a jibbering wreck, shaking, teeth chattering. I cannot even bare my teeth to be cleaned and polished in the dentist. It hurts.

Whilst living in Cyprus a few years ago, I found a dental hygienist who allowed me to go in 4 seperate sessions, each time numbing my teeth and gums and did all the work using hand tools. She was very patient and genuinely empathic. As you quite rightly point out Pav, that care and empathy is vital. But, those of us who are afraid can tell instantly who is genuinely empathic and those who are paying lip service to it. The latter is worse than someone who is honest enough to just come out and say that they don't really understand what all the fuss is about. It can't possibly be hurting, you have had local anaesthetic, it will be finished soon, just a few minutes more and it will be over. Though each time that happens, it deepens the fear.

Again, you are right that it can actually be pleasant. That hygienist did wonders for not only my teeth, but my self esteem. I was proud that I had conquered my fear and allowed her to do her job. It resulted in trust and I realised that I'd actually enjoyed my treatment.

Blimey! I can rattle on a bit can't I? Right, I'm shutting up now.

So sorry to hear your story.
    As Pav has already said, unfortunately we see/ hear a lot of/ about this with dental tourism. However, the unusual thing is your treatment sounds like it has worked well, even if it is not what you wanted. A lot of this is obviously down to yourself and your interest in good oral hygiene
    I am afraid of dental treatment, blood tests etc. It stems from my childhood and is irrational, but it doesn't make it any less real.
    Part of being treated in the UK is that you have a come back on being treated as you have been, which in effect is mental and physical battery.
    Our clinics are orientated at the top end of the market and what we provide is a patient journey where not only the dentistry is important, but equally the customer service.
    Unfortunately this all comes at a price and this is where the allure of dental tourism comes in.
    C'est la vie.
    Kind regards
    Nick
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)