Question Can I have dental implants to hold my denture i dont have bone

I have hereditary bone loss in my upper jaw, and face the fitting of an upper full denture in 2 weeks time on the nhs.
    My dentist tells me I would not be suitable for implants to aid a denture fixture?

Is that correct?

Many thanks, great site for people like me looking for answers!

No, everybody can usually be treated with dental implants. However, if you do not have enough bone at the moment, then some more bone will have to be generated by grafting.
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Thank you for the reply, that is good to know I will look into it further :-)

good luck, let me know how you get on and i will try and help with advice if i can
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Could I just ask another question? If I had implants, would the bone not regress further and cause the posts to become loose? That has been the only problem with my teeth. I have always gone for regular check ups, and not had any dental treatment for over 30 yrs. All the teeth that I have lost were in good condition, it was the bone loss that caused them to come out one after another! :-( Luckily I am not as young as I was, and really sympathise with those in their 20's who have the same problem.
    Thanks again for your quick reply, this site is brilliant! Thanks again.

Not always, and you should have had some gum treatment in the past, then they may not have fallen out.

Thanks for the reply, I did have a lot of gum treatment at a London hospital I believe it was deep root cleaning and was very painful. At that time I only had receding gums, which were causing sensitivity.
    I cleaned with the special brushes provided, and flossed but nothing seemed to stop the problem!

Thanks for the info on the implants, that is encouraging.

NSI

Hi NSI, hopefully you did not mind me being a wee bit tongue in cheek. Receding gums are associated with bone loss, were you smoking?

Afraid so, but all my bottom teeth are intact and in perfect condition? Why if the cause was smoking, has only the top teeth been effected? My brother who is 4 yrs younger than me, (also a smoker) is starting to lose his bottom teeth now.

Have had my 2nd fitting for a full upper denture today, decided to go private as they are guaranteed for 15 yrs, and my dentist claims the quality is far superior to NHS dentures.

He does implants but advised me that i need to stop smoking for a year, before he would do the work for me.
    So will see how it goes with the denture first

Thanks again!

NSI

giving up smoking is a good idea- telling someone they can't have implants unless they have given up smoking for a year is perverse
    smoking is a risk factor when considering treatment and not a contraindication