Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Question cleaning implants

I was told by the Budapest dentist that using a water pik/oral irrigator could compromise the cement that holds the tooth onto the implant or the bridge. Yesterday, the emergency dentist said that using a water pik was THE best way to clean them. 2 questions:-

1. Who is right?
    2. Assuming the emegency dentist is right, which is the best one?

I note from doing a search online that people are saying that waterpik rechargeables are great until about the 6 monthmark when the rechargeable batteries die rendering the unit useless.

I see there is a magnetic one, its very expensive. Is it better than the other sorts? Could really do with some advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by amalaydee View Post
    I was told by the Budapest dentist that using a water pik/oral irrigator could compromise the cement that holds the tooth onto the implant or the bridge.
    Yikes, what sort of cement did they use???
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Hee hee Nick, you nutter!!! Well, it can't have been tooooo bad as my 'temps' lasted 2.5 years!!

You didn't answer the question though. Which irrigator would you recommend? Come on tell me quick. Christmas is coming (and my birthday) and I can drop hints to Santa. I want the cleanest teeth on the planet.

you must have the magnetic one of course
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Cheesuz Nick. You are hard work. Is that because its the BEST or because its the most expensive. I can't be toooo greedy or Santa will sail his sleigh straight on by with a big fat WOOOSH, leaving me snivelling - and with furry teeth!!!

Not really my bag, people who use water pics love them. It's a bit like electric tooth brushes. Have you searched for a review/ comparison on water pics?
    Hope some one can help you.

Thanks Nick. I use an electric toothbrush, a Philips Sonicare. Its fantastic by the way and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking of buying one. I've done lots of reviews/comparisons for irrigators. But there are so many models out there thats its difficult to compare like for like. The most informative reviews are advising against the waterpik as the battery is poor.

I just wondered if any of you dentists recommended any of the various makes/models to your patients. As you don't Nick, I must scrub you off my Christmas card list forthwith. Sorry, but I have to be hardnosed about this. I am saving for my dental treatment you understand. That extra quid may make the difference between Pav giving me a straight tooth or a wonky one!!!

just had a look at the waterpic box, it has a two yr guarantee , so that should see you right

Thanks for that Nick. Its appreciated. Got to go Christmas card shopping now I suppose. Sheesh!!

Just out of interest, you mentioned your treatment in Budapest. How did you find that? I only really see the horror stories. Why are you still in temps?
    Cheers
    Nick