I have a gummy smile can i get them corrected?

Q. Hi, I have a 3mm overbite with a 2mm overjet. I have a gummy smile I want to correct. My teeth are straight for the most part but I wanted to know if lingual braces can correct the overbite and in hopes to correct my gummy smile if any. I was also wondering if my teeth are pretty straight and I have to do orthognathic surgery to correct this issue if I can have braces for 6 months and then have the surgery. I would prefer lingual though to give me less of a “horsey” smile.Thanks.

A. It is unlikely that braces can correct a gummy smile, it sounds like you may need some surgery either lip repositioning surgery or more complex orthognatic surgery. It would be worth asking your dentist to refer you to an oral surgeon or a dentist with experience in this type of correction. Lingual braces would still be possible although not all orthodontists can do them.

dr andrew moore

Dr Andrew Moore

Advance Dental Clinic
104 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0JG
Web: www.advancedentalclinic.com Tel: 08443 87 87 88

View My Profile Dr Moore

September 8th, 2009 at 08:47 PM
SA Says :

I had lip repositioning surgery and it relapsed. Should I go back to the doctor and complain or is it a no results guranteed type situation when you do those types of procedures? So lingual braces can pull back my overbite a little bit though, correct? Thanks.

April 27th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Raul Says :

I have a gummy smile when i smile hard such as during laughter. There is over an inch of gum. My teeth are of a good size and i do not want any work on them. I have read of a rare simple procedure that consists of cutting along the inside of the lip where it joins the upper pallete, and stitching it lower. Is this possible? If not are there any other solutions?

April 29th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
louise ward Says :

I have a very gummy smile and quite small teeth. Any ideas?

April 29th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
andrew thompson Says :

You could have gum contouring this would decrease the gummy smile and increase the size of the teeth. hope this is helpful.

May 24th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Jamil Says :

Hello do you offer treatment for a ‘gummy smile’ how much would it cost thanks

May 24th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Alaina Says :

Hi. I have a strongly attached frenum on my lower jaw is that is causing mygums to pull away from my teeth and receed. I’d like to have this taken care of so no further damage is caused and I don’t suffer discomfort when smiling. I’m wondering how much a frenectomy might cost me as I’ll need tosave or borrow money from family to get the procedure done. Also, how muchon average would white fillings cost? I suffer from migraines with silverfillings and I’m finding it hard to get a dentist who will give me white fillings since moving from Australia to Scotland. Thanks.

May 24th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Gilberto Says :

do you repair receeded gums, and how much is it?

May 24th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Orlando Says :

i was just wanting to enquire how much it costs for fixing a gummy smile. Apologies i’m not sure what this procedure is called

May 24th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Cyrus Says :

I have a very gummy smile and im so insecure about my teeth, i hate smiling. I saw the laser Gum contouring and is interested it. How much does it rougly cost. Thank You

May 25th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Ava Says :

Hi I wonder if you could give me some idication of what I would expect to pay for a gum graft please? Many Thanks

May 25th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Emanuel Says :

do you know where i can find a dentist that uses the lanap laser for gums in the uk . many thanks

May 25th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Damaris Says :

hi there , i recently had 6 crowns doen on my upper front teeth. My smileshorizontal alignment is not perfectly in line. My gum is different on the right to left. My left side is actually fine but my right side sat a angle it looks skew. also symmetry isnt 100% perfect but its not to off. My crownis bigger on right side than left, and i say gumline is different. What would be recommended to fix this? gum contouring and reshaping the teeth crowns? i was told this could fix it but i would rather ask you for your opinionon this. Appreciate a response and look forward to your feedback

June 7th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Grant Says :

hi I have quite small teeth, they are more child size than adult size, and it is quite noticable as when I smile it is mostly gum that people see. So therefore I was wondering if they was anything that could be done to reduce the amount of gum seen when i smile? I am however a student so am quite concerned with price and was also wondering if you would be able to give me a rough estiation of how much the treatment would cost? Thank you for your time.

June 7th, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Brice Says :

Dear Enquirer, A proecedure called crown lengthening is often used to correct a gumy smile. Yo will need a thorough assessment with a cosmetic dentist to assess the correct treatment for you. Regards,

Leave a Reply