Default Is an implant necessary?

Last week I had a tooth extracted from my upper jaw (5th one back from the front) after the crown I had fitted a year ago became fractured. My dentist has suggested that I consider an implant to replace the tooth and that this is the most appropiate treatment for my particular circumstances. (I’m fairly young and the surrounding teeth are healthy.)

The treatment will cost £2500. I’m really undecided about what to do as it would be a big investment. I haven’t suffered any discomfort after having the tooth removed, but I am chewing more on one side of my mouth than the other - at the moment. Aesthetically, I’m not worried about having a gap – you can’t see it when I smile. But I’m concerned about what the longer-term health issues I might encounter as a result of having a missing tooth. In particular, I have heard that teeth can ‘drift’ to fill the gap which is a worry. Any advice would be really appreciated.

HI

Once a tooth is removed, you have to be aware that teeth drift from above and sideways. This potentially could cause food trappings or bite issues in the future. Then again it may not cause you any problems at all.

Also as time goes along the bone will shrink and therfore there may be not much available bone for an implant if you change your mind in the future. If you did want one , many years down the line, you may require a bone graft which woud be an extra cost.

There also other alternative to tooth replacement
    1. bridge
    2. denture
    etc

Of course it is impossible to give you accurate advice without looking at the mouth, but i hope this helps.

Regards
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk