Default Root Canal, Crown - Is an Implant or Bridge the next alternative?

I have an upper front tooth, not sure on it's name, but about the 3rd tooth at the front so no alternative but to work on it.
    I can't recall the exact time I had root canal and a crown made here, but probably between 14 - 16 years ago.

The crown over the last 3 years occasionally made itself loose, until recently where I visited the dentist - not the same one who performed the crown, since he became far too expensive.

My current dentist, without taking X rays claimed that - forgive my lack of specifics, it was about 2 weeks ago, something has now cracked which holds the tooth in place and will continue to work it's way loose.

The alternative was an implant or bridge.

Upon return to him, he took and x ray. At this stage, I think he was surprised that the fracture was small.

I am not overly keen on a bridge, since it affects other teeth. Perhaps wrongly, my way of thinking is why mess around with other teeth to repair the one.

The procedure was explained to me. He showed me the tooth on the computer and explained how carefully he would need to be to set the post, something was quite close together and may affect the other teeth.
    Ok, this demonstrated that I should place an element of trust in him.

He quoted me an overall price of £2,200.
    I knew the process was expensive, but did not realise it was quite this much.
    He explained that something was Swiss .... sorry, so vague here, but they were very good.
    This may possibly be the ' new tooth ' or the ' post '.

I have a few questions:

1. Can what I have be repaired?
    If no, is this because regardless of the fracture size, a fracture is a fracture and it cannot be repaired and a bridge or implant is the only alternative?

2. I work for an airline and can easily and cheaply travel to anywhere in the world done to have this work, but given that it's a long procedure, what if something goes wrong in the interim ..... I therefore have opted against ' dental tourism '. Does £2,200 sound like a lot of money for a dentist in a non high street location with minimal visible modern equipment?

3. I'm a smoker and probably if I had put aside the money I have spent on a Harley Street Hypnotist and a seperate Accupuncturist, the implant would be small change.
    It was explained that if I continued to smoke, he would need to cover something up after the first appointment which would later be cut open - Sorry, again being vague, but once I hear anything related to what results in blood, my sense of hearing is completely lost.
    Is it therefore correct that if you are a smoker, regardless how much or little you smoke, once the process has begun the chances of success are limited?
    Further, once the implant is in, does smoking affect the longevity

4. I checked the BDA website and my dentist is not a member. Does such a membership carry any sway towards evaluating the competance of a dentist?
    If I'm going for an implant, I want to ensure, that nature aside, the work he carries out is top notch.

Thank you in advance !

Hi

Firstly it sound like you are having an implant, and this sounds like the normal price.

You are correct in saying that it requires many appointments, so if something goes wrong, you want to be close to your dentist.

Smoking is a risk factor related to implants and can affect the success rate. It is very important that you have good oral hygiene and see the hygienist regularly to allow the implant to last as long as possible.

A membership to the BDA does not make a competent dentist. I would ask what kind of postgraduate training he/she has had in implantology and ask to have a look at his/her portfolio.

I hope this helps

Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Thanks, but what about my first question?

Some fractured teeth can be repaired, some can't. It depends on the case and extent of fracture.

It is impossible to say whether your teeth can be repaired without carrying out a full examination and without looking at your xrays

Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009