Thread: Retainers?

Default Retainers?

I understand it can be required to wear a retainer for several months after brace/aligner work, and for this reason it seems that a bonded retainer would be far more desirable. Will a bonded retainer be suitable for this purpose?

I have read somewhere here that a bonded retainer can come lose and the first you might know about it is a crooked tooth. Would it be possible to have bonded + other retainer? So i might wear the essix/hawley style retainer at night and rely on bonded for the day? Does this seem overkill?

Which is better for bite, essix or hawley? I've read that hawley are better to let your bite settle after undergoing Invisalign treatment.

Is there a standard retainer used at the end of an invisalign treatment or is this entirely up to the dentist? I dont think i like the idea of just wearing my last aligner for 6-12 months as i've read it can get messy and lose strength.

Sorry, bit of a scatter shot of questions here.

You should speak to your dentist about this. You will need some form of permanent retention and a bonded retainer is the easiest way to achieve this. If you keep you last few aligners they can straighten your teeth if the retainer becomes loose. Or you could enquire about some form of removable retention, I'm sure your dentist would be happy to discuss these options with you

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

I recommend my patients to have both types of retainer:
    have the bonded permanent retainer as well as the clear retainer. I advise full time wear of the clear retainer for 6 months, then night time wear for the following 6 months and then wear 3-4 nights a week after that.

This is what I was advised as well when I had my braces off last year!

Please bear in mind, each case is individual and your dentist will be the best person to advise you what retainer to have and what regime

hope this helps

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 10-06-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

With regard to a clear retainer. How do they compare with invisalign for discreetness?

I think i read that you can get Invisalign retainers but under a different name, and you get a replacement every 4 months?

Presumably if the retainer needed to fit over a bonded wire, new impressions would be needed?

clear retainers are very discreet, very similar in appearance to invisalign aligners.

Please bear in mind that use of one type of retainer over another will also depend on:
    - the case
    - the type of treatment
    - the patient's preference

Therefore each case is individual.

Your dentist will be the best to answer what is the most suitable retainer for your case

Hope this helps

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 08-26-2008 at 06:28 PM.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009