Thread: Braces on NHS

Default Braces on NHS

Hi
    I'm new to the forum- i've got a question about braces on the NHS.
    I'm now 21 and after a number of different dentists and orthodontists wasting my time with retainers and ineffective work to straighten my teeth as a teenager, i've decided now is the time to get my teeth sorted for good!
    According the NHS's Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN), i should be a grade 4, and so should be able to get NHS treatment.
    However, I would like to know if it would be possible to pay to upgrade the available NHS braces for either ceramic or lingual braces instead?- if so, around how much would this extra cost be?

It may also be beneficial for me to have jaw surgery to correct my overbite. Is jaw surgery also available on the NHS at all for adults?

Any info very welcome!
    Thanks.

If an orthodontist deems you suitable for NHS braces, you will not be able to upgrade to ceramic or lingual braces. An IOTN of 4 is not considered very severe on the NHS.

If your jaw discrepancy is large enough (again to be determined by the orthodontist) then this will likely be covered by the NHS

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy