Cost of 6 month smiles
Why choose to have the 6 month smiles treatment?
6 month smiles is an innovative treatment in orthodontics. It can be used in cases where the teeth are crowded, overlap, teeth stick out at the front or when there is space between the teeth. They use a discreet wire and the treatment is very cheap when compared to some of the other orthodontic treatments available, such as invisalign. Once fitted, the braces will need to be adjusted every five weeks or so, in order to gently move the teeth into the desired position. There is minimal discomfort when undergoing treatment, but you will need to wear a retainer for a short time after. This is to prevent the teeth moving back to their original position. The treatment is only used on the teeth left out of sight when speaking and smiling.
Things to think about
You are unable to get the 6 month smiles treatment through the NHS. This is because the NHS considers 6 month smiles a cosmetic treatment, which it will not pay for. Private clinics offer the treatment but will vary in the prices they charge. On your initial appointment you should discuss what the cost will be and what this will include. It is a good idea to get a written estimate. Do not be afraid to ask questions of the specialist, and make sure you look out for any additional costs that may affect the bill. Other things to think about include:
- The location of the private clinic will affect the price, as will the skill of the dental practitioner performing the procedure.
- It is advised that you attain a written estimate. This will give you an outline of what the cost will include. The price advertised may not include other necessities.
What does the price include?
It may be a good idea to ask your regular dentist if they can recommend a private clinic. It is still a good idea to shop around to find the best price available. Also, be wary of any extra charge that may add to the advertised cost of treatment. Factors which may affect the price include:
- The number of appointments required may affect the cost of treatment. Make sure you look out for such information on any written approximation you are given.
- You will need to wear a retainer once the 6 month smiles treatment is complete. Will this be included in the price? Ask questions in order to find out.
- Private clinics may offer you the option to spread the cost over a certain amount of time. Be wary of any further costs this may ensue.