Default TWO chipped veneers in 24 hours?

Hi everyone,

I had 6 veneers put on by a private cosmetic dentist 4 years ago. One fell off in August 2008 and I immediately had it replaced. Last night whilst talking on the phone one of the veneers chipped in half. Didn't think too much of it because I know this happens sometimes. However, brushing my teeth this morning and around a 1/4 of a veneer on a different tooth chipped off. How is this possible?

I've not bumped my mouth nor have I chomped on any metal lately.

I emailed my dentist friend last night when the first one broke and have since received an email from him saying to go in today and he'll do the work at a discounted rate. I haven't contacted him since and he doesn't yet know about the second veneer chipping off this morning. Of course, I'm desperate to get the remedial works carried out asap but I want to ensure I seek some professional advice before contacting him again. This mini debacle is casting doubt on his abilities I'm afraid.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Anita

Dear Anita,

It is difficult to tell you what is happening without a full consultation. Occasionally veneerss can break but there is normally a reason for this, often to do with your bite. I would recommend you see your dentist and ask him why this happens. You obviously must be confident in your treating dentist and I hope he can answer your questions.

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Many thanks for your advice Pav. It's just so bizarre that two come off in such quick succession. I've been told that I grind my teeth on occasion, I presume this could have some detrimental effect? Also, is there usually a period of "guarantee" for such things? My dentist has said it's two years.

Your advice is so invaluable to us all by the way, what a great site to stumble upon! If for any reason I have any further trouble I'll know exactly where to look for a different dentist

Thanks again

Anita

Grinding your teeth certainly can cause these types of problems. Where appropriate I make bite guards to protect against these types of problems. There are a wide variety of bite guards available and all have different success rates etc. I'm sure your dentist can discuss this with you further.

There is no required guarantee, just what your dentist agrees with you prior to starting. Most dentists give a 12 month guarantee.

Glad you are getting what you need from the site!

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Talking

Right then, just got back from the dentist and now the proud owner of two lovely temporary veneers (more technically advanced than 4 years ago). My teeth grinding could certainly be the cause so I'm having a nightguard to go with my "real" veneers next week. Now THAT'S customer service, considering I only phoned him a few hours ago. Thanks Sandeep, sorry I doubted you for a moment there.

Speaking to your dentist about your concerns is always an excellent way to start!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com