Question Please help - Implants needed for front teeth

I had an accident aged 12 and knocked out my two front adult teeth in one piece, roots and all. Quite miraculously (upon our dentists advice) my mum managed to slot them back into my mouth(!) and they have stayed there ever since!! Over the next couple of years, abcesses developed in both teeth and I eventually had to have the nerves removed before they were filed down to a peg and porcelain crowns added.

20 years later, I have been to the dentists to get new crowns fitted. I have been told that I cannot have new crowns as the roots have now decayed and look extremely 'pitted' on the xrays. I have been having alot of pain/discomfort up to the base of my nose and noticed my left tooth wobbling, so I am not surprised - I realise I have been very lucky so far. My dentist has recommended that the best option I have is to get dental implants and that will stay good for the next 30 years or so.

I am quite scared and worried about the amount of work involved - not to mention the expense. Can anyone give me advice/reassurance as to the timescales, procedure and cost? Also, would it be incredibly painful? My teeth otherwise are in very good condition and I have never had a filling or needed any other work in my life!

I know I need to have the work as I cannot live with this pain and worry...

All help much appreciated!
    Hannah
    Last edited by HanT; 09-30-2009 at 07:32 PM.

hi Hannah
    dental implants are the best solution usually for the situation you have discribed
    you really need a consultation with an implant expert who can answer these questions for you, but normally the discomfort is relatively mild. i reviewed a pt today who had 2 implants on monday and she was fine..... she was also 84 (and they are not the oldest patient i have treated)

However, in regards to the infection and pain, the bone can be damaged which inturn can make the surgery more comlicated. So my 2c is seek expert advice ASAP
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Implants are certainly the best treatment option. The process can take
    time to be completed correctly but it should not be painful. The sooner
    the teeth come out the better and you should discuss the cosmetic
    ramifications fully with your dentist as well as who is going to carry
    which procedures. The costs can be spread over a few years via financing
    packages

Regards

David Bloom
    Past President BACD
    Accredited member BACD
    Dr David Bloom BDS