Default Dental implant experiences

I have recently been told by my dentist that I need dental implants for my two top front teeth. Due to trauma when younger my roots have not grown properly and over the past couple of years have begun to shrink. Therefore when I found two tiny abscesses (which do not hurt) above my front teeth I was told a root canal would not work as I have no roots there. My dentist has always warned me that this would happen but as I am only 25 and my teeth are in excellent condition I am terrified at the thought of surgery. I have been referred to a private hospital as I was told the NHS will not pay.
    I am due to have my first consultation soon and I am petrified about my treatment plan and surgery etc. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Need my mind putting at ease!!!! I am having nightmares at the thought of it.

Thank you x

Jade,

I had surgery yesterday - two titanium rods put in next to each other. (I lost two adjacent teeth a couple of months ago).

I opted for intravenous sedation because I'm a chicken (you'll get anaesthetic whatever). Apprently you are awake but I don't remember much at all. It certainly seemed to me like I slept through most of it and I can only recall a few moments during which I was really very comfortable, not in any pain and completely chilled out about what was going on. From the moment the sedative went in my hand to the moment I heard the dentist say that he was done passed very quickly.

I took some ibuprofen when the local anaesthetic wore off in the evening and that dealt with the discomfort. I had no trouble sleeping last night. Today, apart from the facial swelling which I can feel and others can see, I wouldn't know anything had happened at all.

So based on my experiences, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

S.

This is exactly how the procedure should be. Pleased to hear it went well for you
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Lightbulb

Go for the initial consultation and they should explain everything to you and address your concerns...

I am going through a similar thing at the moment as I have lost my front tooth in an accident, and chipped the two either side. Am 27, so not best pleased to say the least.

I am currently doing some research into implants as I got some emergency NHS treatment and am very disappointed (not at the fact they don't do implant) just the rush-rush service and no care in the corrective work they did (composite fillings to the two teeth either side). No consultation, just get in the chair and put up. Go private all the way. I will definitely be going to get the work redone privately, and discuss the implant issues then.

Will let you know what I find.

Don't worry dear friend. Just follow the steps your dentist suggest you to do. Everything will be alright. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SandY View Post
    I took some ibuprofen when the local anaesthetic wore off in the evening and that dealt with the discomfort. I had no trouble sleeping last night. Today, apart from the facial swelling which I can feel and others can see, I wouldn't know anything had happened at all.

So based on my experiences, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    My experience is that most people are more surprised about the swelling (which we always warn them about), than concerned about post operative pain after simple dental implant surgery.

This can be reduced even further by using virtual dental implant placement software and stereolithic templates for guided implant surgery.

More complex procedures such as those requiring bone grafting or soft tissue grafting can have more swelling and be more uncomfortable. However, your dentist should be able to give you a satisfactory pain control regime to deal with this discomfort.
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)