Default How long do implants last?

I have just had two much-worked on teeth removed in a couple of weeks. These are in the middle of the left side of my upper jaw. I am really, really upset about it. There is an obvious, big gummy black hole when I smile. I don't know anyone my age like that. My confidence has gone and I feel I'm really old before my time.

I don't want to wear false teeth. I will probably go for one or two implants. I have been reading about the lifetime of implants. Some websites say they last a lifetime, and some say they last 'many years', some say ten years. I am 46. If I look after them, will they last me for life? Some websites say you have to meticulously clean them. How much trouble is that? Does food get trapped around them?

Thanks.

Hi Sandy,

Well placed implants on average have a success rate of 95% over a 20 year period. Depending on how the implants are restored, the restoration may need replacing sooner

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Pav,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What do you mean by 'the restoration may need replacing'? Do you mean the crown, abutment, bone graft or the main titanium rod? Or all of it?

Thanks

By that i mean the crown/bridge/denture. You would certainly need long term maintenance to keep your implants healthy, regular visits for professional hygiene treatments would be part of this protocol

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Pav,

One last quick question.

With two adjacent missing teeth, is there any long term issue with only getting an implant for the one nearest the front, which would deal with 90% of the cosmetic and functioning issue I would imagine, and leave a permanent gap where the one further back is?

Thanks again.

Not at all
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com