Red face Implant - how painful is the procedure?

I know I'm going to sound pathetic and I apologise, but I've just found out I will need an implant on a front crown. It was fine until I had it changed over a year ago as I had my teeth whitened therefore the crown needed changing too. It became infected and after about 4 sessions in the dentist doing root canal treatment, then an apicectomy, it's still not right hence impending implant.

I am scared senseless - has anybody had this done and HONESTLY, how bad is it?

Thanks so much.

Dear Laura

We carry out many implant surgeries at our practice and I can say that the single dental implant surgery is not painful as you will be numbed.

Many of our patients are surprised that they are not in pain after the surgery, but the most you may require is some paracetamol or ibuprofen ( depending on the dentist's recommendations) after the procedure.

I have had a single dental implant myself and only took one paracetamol after the numbness wore away and I was fine after that!

All the best

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Thank you. I'm not only concerned about the pain after, but also the initial injections in the roof of the mouth and having the stitches out. It really hurt before with the apicectomy, and from what I can gather looking on websites, it will probably be done in 2 stages so I'll have all that twice. I'm just sick and tired of this tooth!!! I will try and be brave !!!

Dear Laura,

Implant surgery may sound scary, but it isnt nearly half as bad as what you imagine! I understand where you are coming from, as you have already had numerous injections in that area, and the thought of more injections must put you off! You will need a few injections to get the area numb and yes, you'll also need one in the roof of the mouth which can be unpleasant. Your dentist, may be able to place osme topical gel over the site before he injects which can help "take the edge off".

As for the suture removal, I routinely take the sutures out withou local anaesthetic as per my patients request!

Good luck!
    DR NILESH R. PARMAR BDS (Lond) MSc (UCL) MSc (GKT)
    Masters in Dental Prosthetics
    Masters in Dental Implants
    http://WWW.DRNILESHPARMAR.COM

Implant Surgeon/General Dentist- Parmar Dental
    www.parmardental.co.uk
    Associate Dentist- London Bridge Dental Practice
    www.lbdp.co.uk
    Implant Surgeon/Prosthodontist- SparklySmiles
    www.sparklysmiles.co.uk

Accredited Gold Member British Dental Bleaching Society

WINNER BEST YOUNG DENTIST IN THE EAST OF ENGLAND PRIVATE DENTISTRY AWARDS 2009

I am considering getting this done if i can get funding but for normal treatment i have had to have gas as i am so afraid of getting the injection,

do they put you to sleep or do you have to be awake becuase i would probably faint if i heard i had to be awake!

There are a variety of options when having implant treatment

1. local anaesthetic
    2. intravenous sedation
    3. general anaesthetic in a hospital environment
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

what do they all mean whats difference between them ?

Having just had this done, I can answer this.

1. Local anaesthetic - Where you are fully awake, but the area is numbed, so you don't feel the pain.

2. Sedative- This is what I had, and its quite surreal. You are awake throughout the procedure, but, the drug they give you makes you forget the whole process. I remember the dentist injecting me with sedative, then the next thing I am waking up. You are apparently fully awake throughout, and can talk to the dentist if he asks you questions. It's funny a few hours after as well because its like your life is a dream. They also use local anaesthetic. Theres no way you feel pain at all.

I'd recommend this way just for the laugh of talking crap, and feeling weird for a few hours Its a strage experience, but a funny one.

3. General anaesthetic - Completely out throughout.