Default Molars and Sunken Cheeks.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I hope someone on here can help me out with some questions.

I've had this problem now for 13 years. When I was 20 years old I had two upper molars removed (one on each side). My dentist at the time told me that although there was nothing wrong with them I didn't need them. They had actually grew behind my other two molar teeth. He told me food was getting trapped in there and I would be better off without them.

Immediately after having them removed I noticed the muscles below my cheeks where sagging and my cheeks where hollow. My friends, family and even college tutors kept asking me if I was healthy, if I was taking drugs etc... I thought I was aging prematurely, (I was 20 and I looked 40 and thats not an exageration), or I thought perhaps I had a serious illness. This ruined my self confidence, and social life, it ruined my life in general. I've always been underweight and I thought perhaps this was part of the reason.

I always suspected the removal of these teeth could have something to do with the dramatic change in my appearance and by recently researching this online I'm now pretty sure the removal of these teeth is the cause.

I also had two lower molars removed previous to this, (by another dentist), and I'm now wondering if this is also contributing to my sagging jowls.

Because the upper molars that where removed where behind my other molars, there is no room for implants to be placed. So my first question would be:

1. Is there a surgical procedure to allow room for implants to be placed ? I do have some overcrowding due to wisdom teeth that have since come through, would removing these (which I've been advised) make room for implants ? I'm guessing that after removing them braces could re-align the teeth making room for implants.

2. Where the lower molars used to be there is some room, I assume braces could widen the lower jaw if need be to place in some implants ?

3. Because this problem was caused by an NHS dentist, would I be eligible to have this treatment done under the NHS ?

I've been looking into alternatives to restore volume to my face, including cheek bone implants, which I don't feel comfortable with, or Sculptura injections ? both of which are expensive.

4. Would you recommend I go with implants or one of the above procedures ?.

I don't know how losing the upper molars affects the cheeks, other than what little information I've been able to find online, which says the molars (also known as cheek teeth) support the facial dimension, muscles and overall cheek shape.

5. Has losing the upper molars not only effected my cheek muscles but the (malar) cheek bone also ? Could it have shrunk ? Or would just the bone around the tooth have shrunk ?

6. If implants where put in and the bone altered shape, would the facial muscles realign to something more close to how they would be had the extractions not took place ?

I've also read that novocaine can also destroy nerves in the face, contributing to sagging and changes in shape. When these teeth where removed I remember him injecting a lot into my gums and I could feel the numbness taking effect as far up as above my eyes.

7. I'm wondering if this could also be a reason why my face looks the way it does. Could it be a result of novocaine ?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to receiving your replies.

Steven.

Hi Steven i can understand how this can be such a distressing time for you not know which are the best options for you to undergo. without actually seeing a dentist it is difficult to advise you however it is unlikely that this problem would be resolved on the NHS as it is cosmetic.

The teeth do fuction to support the facial tissues and loss of teeth can cause a loss of structural integrity to your facial muscles and skin.

It is difficult to comment on what would be right for you but you are correct that orthodontics/braces can move teeth and create room for implants, but your bone will also need to be assessed to see if your a suitable for implants.

I would recommend you see a private dentist for a consultation but just so that you are aware that implant work doesn't come cheap but a consultation will give you that chance to ask all the questions you need and an idea of prices.

Keep us posted as to how you get on! or ask more Qs if you think we can help

Admin

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon who advised me to go with Sculptura. I've heard a lot of positive comments, it's painless, but expensive.

I'm still considering my options but this seems to be the quickest and less expensive route to take so far.