Default Tooth transplants help

Hi
    My name is Kirsty and I am new to this forum.

I had a tooth transplant around 20 years ago and over the years have had to take courses upon courses of antibiotics due to infection. However my dentist ended up having to take the transplanted tooth out last year and I have had on going trouble ever since. He thought that would be the end to the problem however the tooth in front of it had to come out, now the tooth behind it is having to come out due to infection from the transpalnted tooth Therefore I will have no lower back teeth from the tooth behind my bottom fang onwards basically there will be four teeth missing including my wisdom tooth ( which was the tooth that was transplanted) I am only 39 so don't want to have a big gap and all those teeth missing. I was thinking about a couple of implants. My dentist said I will have to be careful due to there having been such trauma. I was wondering if anyone on here knows if it will be ok to put implants there. Also my dentist said he wants to send me to someone else to get this other tooth that needs to come out. I can't understand why he won't take it out. Can anyone give me any suggestions why this might be?

Thanks

Kirsty

Dear Kristy,

As long as the infection has healed there should be no reason you can't have an implant, your medical history permitting. The amount of bone available to place an implant would obviously need to be assessed.

There may be numerous reasons that your dentist is referring you, it is most likely he is looking after your best interest and making sure you will be comfortable during the procedure.

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Dr Khaira,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I am really worried about the remaining tooth coming out, especially by another dentist! I just can't understand why my dentist doesn't want to extract the remaining tooth, especially with him taking the transplanted tooth out and the other one. There is not much tooth left to take out, as it is all filling that is left but I have serious pain coming from it, traveling down my neck and into my collar bone. I am terrified that I am going to have to get my gum cut to extract it. I get the impression my dentist is frightened to, perhaps in case anything else goes wrong! He said I was used as a guinea pig basically for the tooth transplant in the first place and this has caused the damage to the neighboring teeth.
    Please can you tell me how long I will have to wait to get an implant in that area due to there being infection. Also how long will an implant last and can you tell me the difference between strauman and Nobel biocare? Also is it possible that the implant might not take and how difficult is it to get the implant out again if needed?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can probably tell I am now a nervous wreck due to having this whole transplant procedure and it ending the way it has.

Kind regards
    Kirsty

If your dentist does not feel comfortable doing the extraction, he is right to refer. I send out most of my extractions to a surgeon who like that type of work, I stick with what I like and do best! It truly sounds as if your dentist has your interest at heart.

Normally, infections are cleared within 8-12 weeks of extraction, and depending on the complexity or tooth removal etc you may need to wait a little longer for the bone to heal enough to have an implant placed.

Both Nobel and Straumann are excellent implant systems, I've restored on both of these types and also 3i and Astra. I ask my implant surgeon to place Straumann, it's just the system I prefer and I know I can undertake extremely complicated restorative work predictably on this system. It just works very for me. Most implant systems in the UK are tested and have a good track record.

If implants are placed well, you should not have any major problems. Well placed implants have a success rate of approx 95% over 20 years.

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I appreciate it.

Once I pluck up the courage to get the extraction I will try and find a competant implant dentist in Edinburgh, that hopefully will be able to give me good advice on what way to go forward.

Kind regards
    Kirsty