Thread: Uk vs abroad

Default Uk vs abroad

Hi

This is my first post and I’m looking for some options for a tooth implant. I’ve looked at the options abroad and I seen a few posts on here by the experts all of which state that the UK has tight regulations.

I know the risks with having treatment abroad (obviously when something goes wrong your in a different country for a start) however I’m curious as to the UK regulations that you refer to. I’d like you to please explain which regulations in the UK that are not adhered to abroad. One or two examples would be nice; it would help qualify your answers to the previous questions.

Thanks in advance

gary

Hi Gary

Each country has its own regulations and complaints procedure process.

In the UK if someone is unhappy with there dental work , then each practice will have a complaints procedure in process to resolve the case. Also each dentist follows a code of conduct set by the General Dental Council.

In regards to having an implant in the uk or abroad, there are number of issues which should be looked at.
    1. The surgeons postgraduate experience. Has he/she been through a certified programme (which can take many years of training) or a weekend course! Remember implantology involves drilling in the bone. There are various nerves and blood vessels in our jaw, so it is very important the implantologist is thoroughly trained.

2.How many cases have they done and can they show you past cases.
    3. Very importantly, what type of implant are they using. There are many implants on the market which are cheap and therefore this reflects in the price. Of course the cheaper implants usually dont have long term data behind them. This therfore can reflect on longevity and success rate.
    4. Also success rate and quality of the finished cosmetic results depends on the dentist technician. You can use a cheap technician, but this will not reflect in the final result.

This is a very brief summary. Remember there are good sugeons in the UK and abroad. Do your research thoroughly and do not let price dictate your decision.

Good Luck

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 10-06-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009