Default How Many Implants for 7 missing teeth

I have a 3 part bridge and 4 crowns at the front upper

So my 4 front teeth are crowns that I had had since I was 15 ( I am now 39 ) and next to them on the left is a 3 piece bridge.

Under these 7 teeth I have 4 root canal infections.

(All the roots under these crowns and bridges have all previously been root canal treated)

I am a firm believer that root canals are bad for your health based on experiments in the U.S. And just as in many things the UK usually are following behind the US years later in terms of treatments why do practitioners accept the advanced treatment techniques but “poo poo" the other negative findings?

I think the answer is obvious...sorry I digress...

My current dentist considers my case to be complicated on the grounds its more then 1 tooth and they have only just started doing implants.

I have just had to go through a double episectomy and due to have the other tomorrow...when I said all along I think long term its best we go for implants

My dentist said initially my teeth were fine and just needed the crowns replacing the infections dealt with and the bridge replacing I explained to him that the NHS dentist said " they wouldn’t hold new teeth they are failing and its a matter of ethics and risk assessment and my private dentist responded to that by saying " well they are holding now?!"

Now after I’ve had one episectomy unde the crowns he’s quoting things like “well it’s all a wing and a prayer and it’s a matter of risk assessment maybe its best you just leave them till they fail and "then" have implants"

Bearing in mind he sold me a bleaching kit also for £175 in preparation for the new smile I was planned to have, in-fact he was the one that pointed out I needed new crowns as the little gaps underneath were showing...he passed me the mirror to show me!

Now he’s suggesting I just have the bridge work done and leave the crowns until they fall out???
    I haven’t seen him in 8 months..so this isn’t due to something they have discovered about my teeth,

The reason I went private was because I was told this by the NHS that I would just have to let my crowns and bridge fail as they were not prepared to spend that amount of money on cosmetic work and felt they would fail anyway.

I would NOT have paid for and gone through all these painful preparation operations of double episectomies on the “wing and a prayer" they are now quoting.

It makes sense long term to have implants and I keep trying to tell him this.

I believe they are feeling out of their depth with the implants so just squeezed me for money for short term incomplete cosmetic dentistry which they are "now" ensuring I am aware there’s a high chance they will split as they work on them, but the bridge is apparently OK to replace..

My question is:

Of the 7 teeth missing or holding crowns and bridges how many would need implants?
    I’m assuming not all 7

My jaw bone and gums seem healthy ( or at least thats what he said the last time I spoke to him )

And if there isn’t much in it regards to the final cost I am considering have the whole of my upper teeth done as the other side would look terrible compared to all new implanted side

Its a little like decorating a house... you decorate one room and it makes the rest of the house look even worse!

What would be the approx cost for this type of treatment and amount of implants?

I ask this so when I get quotes I know what’s reasonable.

Is there any reputable dentist in the Lancashire area anyone can recommend?

Many Thanks!
    Last edited by roseenglish; 06-19-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Hi

It is very difficult to give you an estimate without having had a look at your mouth and x-rays.

The cost of one implant can range between £1800 to £2500. Some surgeons may charge less per implant as the number of implants increases.

There are various options you can consider to fit your burget:
    - implant retained dentures
    or
    -implant retained crowns and/or bridges

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Smile dental implants

Hi

I have similar problems to uou and also live quite near. Please e-mail me on [email protected] and we can compare notes regarding finding a suitable implantologist in our area.

Pat