Thread: Implant quiery

Default Implant quiery

Hello there,

I have 3 front teeth missing and currently have a denture. The denture is broken and I have been told that my metal denture will be replaced with a plastic one and so I have decided that I would like to get my teeth fixed properly and get rid of the object in my mouth.

I think I may possibly need a graf and would want 2 implants and a bridge. As you will be aware this is very expensive in this country and I was thinking about going abroad to get this done.

I am looking for some advice as to which dentist to use in which country. I have tried to research this but I can only find people saying "research it properly before you go". I cannot find an opinion or recomendation of anything anywere.

Also I was wondering if it was possible to get this done at a dental hospital in the UK if I was refered by a dentist. I know this was previously possible in Scotland but I'm not sure about England, where I am at the moment.

I have had this denture for 13 years since I was 17 and it is really about time I had it sorted and really I am begining to get to the end of my teather to be honeest with the whole thing so any information anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I am sorry hear about your circumstances. I understand how distressing it can be , especially when it is your front teeth involved.

Regarding going abroad for treatment should not be considered lightly. If you wish to do this please do your research thoroughly and carefully. Unfortunately we have seen an increase in problems associated with implants which have been carried abroad on the "cheap". I am sure if you wanted to get the treatment abroad and carried out careful reasearch on the surgeon you would find an appropriate surgeon.

Please note that any one could put an implant in the bone, but it is the treatment planning and future maintainence which is required for the longevity of the implant. If done correctly, appropriate implants are used, appropriate and high quality materials are used, the gum condition is checked prior to placement, the bite is checked after the restorations are completed and if future maintainence is done , then this will allow the implants and crowns to last as long as possible. if this is not followed then faliures will occur.

Implant treatment requires a lot of planning behind the scenes when the patient is not there before any implant is placed in the bone. It is not a case of just turning up and placing the implants.

Many UK dental practices now offer finance to help spread the cost over few years.

Hope this helps

Best of Luck

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Hello Raha,

thanks for the quick reply. I really am not taking going abroad for this treatment lightly. I have had 13 years to think about it and I can't go on with a denture any longer, espescially a large plastic one.

The thing is I've tried to research the companies that do this service but I can't come up with any independent opinions of them. All I can find are testemonials on their websites about how happy Mr Smith is about his service.

But after reading your reply I think the best way to go would be to get the treatment done in the UK.

Do you know if it is possible to be refered to a university to have it done?

Many thanks, Steve.

Hi

unfortunately implants are not provided under the NHS. Only in exceptional circumstances, ie oral cancer etc, will dental hospitals place implants under the NHS.

Best of Luck

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

hi maybe you should try guy hospital becuase my dental implant is being done by a professer so i feel comfortable a professional is doing it