Feeling ashamed, scared and desperate...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though I have just gotten over getting a cleaning and sealence(sp?) done (which I'm grateful), now I'm told I have to get braces; it is a good time now since I'm 15 years old. So an orthodontist needs to get a mold from me. Here's some background information: On my first dental appointment ever, when I was a child about five years, my dentist disregarded my terrible anxiety and had me held down for my very first cleaning, with successful yet uncomfortable results. So I began growing a fear of dentists from that day on. My parents have been going from dentist to dentist (I think about four) in order to rid me of this fear, all ending in failure; my anxiety and distrust ruining it all for me, and me rarely making it through any appointment because of it. Now I go to my dad's dentist (who I never trust but am used to by now) and I always know that behind their cheerful greeting that they are really saying "Oh Lord-it's her again," roll their eyes and get ready for my outbursts. I know I'm pathetic, but there's really so much I can do. I suffered trying to keep my anxiety under control during my cleaning or sealence, and just today during when they tried to put a top layer in my mouth to mold my teeth, I just said, "Forget it," and left without completing my molds. I ended up wasting enough 'glop' and leaving with an ashamed, humiliated attitude. In fact, I still don't feel happy. I look at my teeth and see them slightly crooked, and knowing I can't do anything to help myself.

I see my teeth crooked, no cavities, my two fronts with overlapping my bottoms with a hideous gap in the middle, however my bottom ring of teeth is fine. And try as I might, there's just some things I can't get over and gain courage and preparation for, and leave defeated and unhappy. Such as, me never getting my molds and having to deal with my teeth like this...forever.

Ref. Pic:

Rant over.