Fears of chemical spill at dental practice
Four children have been taken to hospital after reports emerged of a chemical spill at a dental surgery in West Lothian.
The children were taken to hospital as a precaution after fire fighters were called to the practice in Market Place, Whitburn; there were fears of a spillage of mercury capsules but Lothian police confirmed later that there had not been a spillage. Police said the children had been hospitalised amidst fears that they had come into contact with mercury waste at the back of the surgery.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that four children and one adult were taken to St John’s hospital for examination. The fire service sent specialist vehicles and used pumps to clear up the waste.
A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said that there had been reports of a chemical spill and the service sent four specialist vehicles and two ambulances to the scene.
Police have confirmed that all those taken to hospital were released without treatment; a spokesman said that the scene had been cleared completely and police will now investigate the incident. The spokesman also said that the incident had turned out to be a minor event, but it was standard procedure to contact fire and ambulance services.Join this Discussion