Default Scared n need dental treatment

Hi my names paula and im new. several years ago i was attacked and left with a mouth ful of broken teeth, im 35 now and cant even make it to the surgery doors even with sedatives. ive rang everywhere but dont take nhs, i currently have 2 abcesses and am in extreme pain. only been once and i had several root canals done and never experienced apin like it. as im terrified of dentists, the one i saw wasnt very compassionate. does anybody have any suggestions to even get me to a dentists door.

I'd recommend you find support in a friend or family member and seek out a consultation with a private dentist, I genuinely believe this will be the biggest hurdle for you. Once you have been seen you can express your anxieties and will be able to come up with a plan with your dentist

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Hi Paula, if there is no way you can afford private treatment, you could contact your PCT and check if there is a community dental service in your area which caters to adults with dental phobias (you can find out more here: Special Needs and Dental Treatment ).

If you find it difficult to take the first step, there is a new e-course on a dental practice website which explains how you can move towards making an appointment. The e-course is here: Dental Phobia and Dental Fear - Get Help at This Edinburgh Dentist

There is much information about dental phobia available on the internet now, and it can help to know that you are not alone and that there are many others in the same or a similar situation, and get mutual support .

Wishing you all the best and I hope you'll be able to find a caring and supportive dentist real soon!

Paula,

I've had some fairly serious dental work in the last few years and have been surprised at how little it hurts these days. Maybe the anaesthetics are better now. I think the pain from infections is much worse than any discomfort at the dentists, so it is definitely worth doing. And if you get more scared as the appointment looms, remember that walking out again but all fixed is close too.

Good luck.