Default Underbite Correction (NHS)

My journey started as a teenager. I was offered jaw surgery to correct an underbite. My parents turned it down as it was such a risky surgery. My orthodontist braced and straightened my upper teeth, he didn't bother with the bottom teeth as this would have made my underbite worse.

Fast forward to 2009 and I was eating a very yummy lunch when I experienced an agonising pain in my jaw. I managed to spit out my mouthful of food but I couldn't talk. At the emergency appointment the next day with my dentist, she diagnosed me with TMJD (Temporomandibular Joint Dysorder) and said that I needed surgery to correct my underbite because my jaws are so badly aligned that I would end up with bad arthritis in my jaws as I got older. She referred me to a Maxillofacial surgeon.

The surgeon took one quick look at my teeth and said it would be his pleasure to fix my jaws. He sent me for X-rays and booked me in to see the orthodontist.
    My X-rays were not good. My four front upper teeth showed significant root resorption (damage) caused by the previous orthodontics and my other teeth slightly so (I was already aware of this from the age of 20, when I experienced loose teeth and my dentist did an X-ray). I was put on the waiting list. I had my wisdom teeth removed all at once under a general anaesthetic.

Fast forward to August 2011. My orthodontist decided that it is still worth trying to brace my teeth. We have to take the risk that I may lose the root damaged ones because the benefit to my jaws will be emense.
    She braced my teeth missing out brackets from the damaged ones and works around them.
    I am now in month 17 of braces and have a bit to go yet until my teeth are ready for surgery.

I will be having a double-jaw surgery and a genioplasty. This will mean that they will bring my upper jaw forward, take my lower jaw back and then reduce the size of my chin bone. If my damaged teeth do fall out in the process, I have been told that they will fit me with titanium implants.

My experience with the NHS on this matter has been exemplary. I have felt looked after and cared for, for the entire process so far. Whenever someone around me complains about the NHS, I always tell them that I think the NHS is great

I will update as I continue my journey.

You can also check out my blog to see photos and read my eccentric ramblings. My underbite is so bad I can bite down and still stick my tongue out, which is very embarrassing!

My blog: A Double-Jaw Surgery Journey
    Last edited by c.patterson; 01-29-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Tomorrow (sep 4th 2013) is the day of my surgery.

So far my fragile upper lateral incisors and front incisors have remained stable and have not had any more root resorption.
    This means that in the two years of braces (6 months on the damaged teeth) the roots of my teeth have not shrunk any more - this is great news. It proves that orthodontics can be performed on teeth with short roots, providing you have a very competent orthodontist (my childhood orthodontist was the one who caused the bloomin' root damage - he obviously wasn't competent). So for anyone out there who is searching the web for such an answer (as i was 4 years ago) there you have it -

teeth which have suffered SEVERE root shortening from external forces (previous orthodontics/punch in the face!) CAN be straightened without further damage - so don't give up hope - just please pick a very good ortho! Hope that helps someone out there

Wish me luck..... :/