Default Here's a journey - I never wanted to take!!

Hello All,

I just left a hello on the 'introduce yourself' section but when I saw this I had to write and (hopefully) receive HELP!

I have a real dental phobia and consequently not a lot of top teeth. I had four upper front teeth so badly smashed playing sport as a young man that they had to be removed, the dentist in Glasgow 25 years ago was a bit of a butcher this left me with a phobia of dentists.

Furthermore because of this over the years I was always reluctant to go back with further problems until it got to the point where I had to, which consequently meant more extractions

Then 10 years ago I had some fairly catastrophic surgery that actually took a couple of years to get over and I went to my local dentist because I had to have two fillings, these were done but the fillings were never completely filled and when I questioned this I was it was normal for the practice. They failed a year or so later. I went back and they were redone, but again not completely filled

Because the teeth were so weakened and I believe because they were not fully-filled they both broke off and I was left with only the root in the gum, not knowing what to do I had to go back to the same surgery and these were removed. They didnt do this property and left some root in the gum (more pain) they said it was a dry socket but three weeks later they removed what was left.

I really need a lift, I feel apprehensive writing this and I've considered going abroad but this is more of a cost issue - I'm 53 years old and while I know this in the main has been my fault, I don't want to feel like an old man with huge grandparnet type dentures, I need to try to get some self-esteem back, I want a really white but natural smile and I wonder how that can be achieved as the bottom teeth wouldn't match, however that what I'm hoping is someone here can tell me as being able to smile after many years looking miserable would be a huge confidence boost. I've been out of work for a couple of years so cost is an issue.

I know I could just opt for more dentures but I would really like something more permanent that would at last, and after this many years of misery something that would make me look a lot better and feel better about myself, something that would be hand crafted, or made out of a hard composite not a cheap plastic and perhaps more importantly something that something that would mimic real teeth and look real. My concern then would be what to do about the lower teeth which are a problem too as many years of wearing ill-fitting dentures has resulted on them being ground down and somewhat uneven but that is something else that can be addressed later.

THEN LAST YEAR I WAS BESET BY ANOTHER PROBLEM: I was unfortunate enough to have a second dvt and was put on warfarin for 15 months, I bled quite a bit in fact every time I brushed my teeth, apart from the partial denture I wear I only have 4 upper teeth however but because I couldn't have any dental treatment, the one that had a cavity has gone to the point the tooth will have to be removed, two where original fillings have broken down and similarly probably will suffer the same fate. The thought of having more extractions is a problem for me, however I'm sure I have no other options.

Hers is where I believe might be my answer: I heard about mini-implants and set about finding (although not very hard a new dentist who not only was expert in this treatment but one I could feel comfortable with. Who "if I could afford it" give me the smile that I have always wanted (I don't think I've smiled in the last 10 years).

Just as an aside "my two teenage girls amongst other presents bought me a Mr Happy mug for a joke at Christmas but it made me realise how miserable I'd become and I want this to be the catalyst - I "INTEND" to be happy.

So I'm hoping that a new cosmetic denture can be fitted held by mini-implants placed where any extractions would be, can this be done and if so can anyone give me any idea of cost?

I've been told Ivoclar Vivadent ® denture teeth and denture base plastics, which are designed to work in conjunction with the implants are best is this true?

This was a program I watched some time ago and the results were amazing. I also thought this woman had a similar shaped face to me and perhaps similar (original teeth)

Also I was advised to go to Hungary and this firm, they promise this (Smile Design) so you can actually see what your teeth are going to look like before you travel!

on their site I found some really important information on symmetry, alignment, smile line, gum line, proportions and embrasures (which I guess) make them NOT look false?.

I know everyone has a different smile and its down to the shape of the jaw, position of the eyes, the width of the smile decides a persons ideal smile. Also that tooth length, width, shape, relative proportions, hue, colour etc. I'm sorry if I'm being a pain in the proverbial and I hope you don't think this guy is going to be a problem because I wont I just want to get this done, I'm just letting you know things I've found out in the last year but this is such a big deal for me (I just want to get it right and get on with my life;-)

The best denture maker I've found (who doesn't charge London prices) is this guy who reckons every tooth is hand crafted, using different shades and each is positioned differently so light is reflected giving a more natural smile. I do like the way he seems to have created spaces in the teeth to look more
    natural??

This is partly about getting my life back and yes making me look younger, I want these teeth to be as white as possible, also I believe that with a full set of teeth it will help puff out my face a bit and get rid of some of the sunken jaw lines caused by not having any teeth at the back?

Question is can anyone help? - or after this long-drawn-out post, will anyone want to

Jim
    Last edited by Dr Pav Khaira; 01-07-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    " What goes around..."

Hi Jim,

It certainly sounds like you've had more than your fair share of problems. You really need a full diagnostic consultation before anyone can give any thorough advice due to the number of complications you have had medically.

With regards to travelling abroad, many people do it, and I see a lot of work that needs to be corrected. I can point you in the right direction if you want to see someone on the continent but their fees are comparable to ours. The problem with "smile design before your travel" is that a lot of assumptions have to be made about your existing dental health, this is very risky.

I understand you are looking for the confidence to smile and eat food without potentially causing further problems down the line, and that finances are an issue for you.

Many dentists offer finance options, and there are many superb denture systems available that can give you way better than average results and a highly functional result (such as Gerber dentures and BPS dentures).

All quality dentures are hand crafted and made to look natural, this is nothing unique.

I would recommend a consultation with a skilled dentists who can understand your concerns hopefully give you a suitable option

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thank you Dr Pav, I appreciate your input, kind words and frankness.

I think cost is an issue for most people, if it were not so "dental tourism" wouldn't exist I think. Who in their right mind would want to leave the UK and take a chance of complications in a foreign country if it were not their budget, however it does beg the question why is the rest of Europe cheaper and in many cases (so much cheaper).

I want to have this done in the UK, I'm just trying to find a dentist who understands my history, is sympathic, and fnd a way to finance this after years of unemployment, its not just a new year for me its a New Decade and I want to feel better and more positive about myself. If I am to get back to work, first impressions in a customer facing industry are a very important part of; - Contract or No Contract.

I did go to see a dentist a couple of years ago who seemingly is an expert in implant technology, I wrote everything about myself and actually asked to see him in his office rather than go straight to an examination room, when we eventually got round to the dentist chair his assistant asked if I was OK, he joked with her and said, I quote

(He's sh****ng himself) I felt a bit ashamed and foolish and I asked him to stop and left, this guy was supposed to be a professional but he just set me back even further, and he's lucky I didnt lay him out right then and knocked HIS teeth out , I was tempted but I'm not a violent man. Don't get me wrong Pav I am not scared of anyone in this life and it seems strange to me to have this inordinate fear but its there, its real, - embarrassing as it is!

I have looked at your profile but unfortunately you are in Doncaster and I'm in Middlesex where everyone charges London fees and expect that you can afford it. Had you only been closer!

There is another side to this story, I fully believe I can bring a lot of business to the practice who does this work for me and I am quite prepared to be a before-during and after pictures patient and even video if required.

Thanks again...
    Last edited by phobia; 01-07-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    " What goes around..."

Hi Jim,

It would be a great world if all dentists were sympathetic! You will find that very many are. You can always look at the find a dentist section on the home page of this site. I often hear horror stories and find that TLC goes a long way to easing anxieties in the dental setting

Self confidence is important to be able to live your life to the fullest and not be hindered by negative thoughts.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Pav self-confidence has never been an issue in my working life, but in my personal life my teeth have been a real issue.

Sometimes I wonder (if it were not for this??) anyway the thing I'm thinking is if I can come out of the other side NOW - I'll be better than I was and this decade can be the best (by a long way) yet!!!
    Last edited by phobia; 01-08-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    " What goes around..."

it sounds to me as if you would be best served by getting a referral to a teaching hospital. it is a good idea to offer to be a teaching case but realisticly this will only reduce the cost a small amount
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

That could be a great idea,

However I can imagine myself when i'm eventually sitting in that chair wondering who is doing this, do they know what theyre doing, and at the end of this will I come out with really low quality, ill-fitting or obviously false looking teeth?
    " What goes around..."

However I might have another way to strike a deal with entrepreneurial dentists that could be a win, win deal for both parties.

Just don't know where to put it yet?

Jim.
    " What goes around..."

it doesn't usually work like that unfortunately
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)