Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: broken veneer

Default broken veneer

If a veneer has broken (front central!!!) and needs to replaced, is it possible for the replacement one to match the one next to it perfectly or would it be best to replace them in pairs? Visiting lab not an option as lab is in USA.
    What can be done in this situation to ensure a good result? 2 front teeth different colours would not be a good look!

If you have a good dentists and it's going back to the same lab, the lab should have a colour map of the ones done previously and should be able to match it.

If this is not the case you will be relying on your dentist to communicate the shade. Not impossible but it takes a highly trained eye and for the lab to know exactly how your dentist works

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Cheers Dr for answering. That sounds promising, thanks. I am not due to see my dentist for another 3 weeks hence the Q to try to settle my worries about this in the meantime.
    What does a colour-map entail, if you wouldnt mind briefly explaining?
    In your own practice have you seen similar situations where a broken veneer was replaced that was an identical colour to the remaining veneers?
    Thanks so much again for the sound advice x

A colour map entails all of the aspects that cover colour, including actual colour, colour saturation, brightness, surface texture, surface reflectivity and natural "abnormalities".

I've had to replace veneers I've made once or twice (a fact of life, anyone who say's they've never had a veneer break either hasn't done many or not had their patients return!). i always send it back to the same lab that originally made it and usually get great results

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Many thanks for the info! So helpful, thank you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    If a veneer has broken (front central!!!) and needs to replaced, is it possible for the replacement one to match the one next to it perfectly or would it be best to replace them in pairs? Visiting lab not an option as lab is in USA.
    What can be done in this situation to ensure a good result? 2 front teeth different colours would not be a good look!
    Hi

I would suggest if perfection is what you require, go for the pair... much less likely to be disappointed.

Long turn around from the states if it has to be sent back and forward a few times.

My 2c
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Thanks for your input. Oh dont know what to do for the best! My dentist is a bit evasive on the subject really. Just want to get a good outcome. In my job image is very important. As I said I am not due to see dentist again for a couple of weeks but he has alluded to replacing just one for me. The one would be free as the veneers are under guarantee. Would I likely need to pay for the other if I request having the front 2 redone?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    Just want to get a good outcome. In my job image is very important.
    it depends on the lab and many other variables, you may get a perfect result.. or not... at least if being made in US then you will have a pair if you go for both teeth

As I said I am not due to see dentist again for a couple of weeks but he has alluded to replacing just one for me. The one would be free as the veneers are under guarantee. Would I likely need to pay for the other if I request having the front 2 redone?
    Thank you
    depends on the dentist, but if they offer to replace 1 for free and you want both done they may insist on you paying... i find this a bit nit picky but then we charge fees at the higher range of the market so keeping our clients happy is our number 1 prioity
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Hi,
    I have been to see my dentist today, managed to get an earlier appointment. He was actually quite patronising and made me feel daft for asking a few questions as to whether if he does just one it will match. To be honest I feel I have begun to lose trust in him (not just over this, have had some previous problems). I am nervous now about having him treat my teeth again.
    What im now wondering is if it is possible to have a different dentist replace my two front veneers to match the lateral ones? I want to have the best quality possible. Is this a pain for a new dentist to do? I just want to get my smile back to how it was.
    Thank you!

A good cosmetic dentist that has placed many veneers and uses a high quality lab will be able to match your surrounding teeth. This is not the easiest of jobs so make sure you select a dentist that is well experienced in this area. You may need to pay a little more for this but like you said you really want the best.
    admin