Unhappy Due to get NHS veneers fitted in 2 weeks- TERRIFIED PLEASE HELP

Hi,
    I am due to get 3 veneers fitted in 2 weeks. Last week I had my teeth prepped by my dentist. I'm very worried because when i've read on the internet about teeth being prepared for veneers it says that only a small amount of the tooth needs taking off, equivalent to the thickness of the veneer, but he has shaved my teeth down in to tiny little pegs. Is this not standard practice??? I am getting my front two teeth done, which were damaged from acid erosion and were very short, stained and ridged. Also the tooth next to my right front one, which was healthy but growing slightly outwards and towards my front tooth. This is now also a teeny little peg. He has built them up with composite until my treatment is ready to be carried out but he has made them all different widths and lenghts which is very unsigtly and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about his aesthetic skills. I am now talking with my hand over my mouth, and will certainly not be venturing out for the bank holiday weekend with the state of them.
    I'm worried whether to go through with it at all, he has never asked me how i want them to look, or even told me if they are going to be porcelain or composite or what.
    I can barely sleep at night, someone please advise.

Hi Laura,

It's difficult to say exactly what has been done without a full consultation. With aesthetic work, it's important to ascertain shape and colour prior to preparing teeth.

If you have any concerns I would recommend you talk to your dentist

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thankyou, but in your professional experience for veneer prep is it usual to file a tooth down to such an extent that the length and width of a tooth is reduced? After he had done this he showed me a colour chart with 'fake teeth?' on it to do a match but i'm unsure if this was for the composite or the veneer. He has not discussed with me colour and shape. I'm assuming the lab will look at my impressions and cast the veneer to make my teeth even.

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmelaura View Post
    Thankyou, but in your professional experience for veneer prep is it usual to file a tooth down to such an extent that the length and width of a tooth is reduced?
    Hi Laura

It depends on what is trying to be achieved, but some preparation is usualy required for veneers.
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)