Default tetracycline staining + NHS veneers

OK,
    I have an appointment with my dentist next week about the possibility of having veneers fitted to cover my tetracycline stained teeth. I have been advised by another dentist at the practice that it will have to be done privately as it will not be covered on the NHS.
    The more i think about that the more I wind myself up.....
    I have had to walk around for the best part of 40 years with teeth resembling tombstones due to medicine provided on the NHS & yet I could be looking at a bill of over 4 grand now I have finally found the courage to do something about it.
    I have looked at the images on Google & my discolouration is as bad as anything I can see on there......
    Does anyone know of any other route I can take to try & pursue NHS treatment??
    Maybe citing mental trauma??

You could potentially get onto a waiting list at a dental school but even then they are unlikely to do anything, the waiting list may also be several years which is not uncommon for certain procedures. Furthermore I don't think you'll like the cosmetic outcome if you were to have NHS veneers.

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thanks for the quick response it is very much appreciated.......
    Truth is, i don't know what to do........
    I am definitely having them done....as previosuly mentioned, it has taken a long time to seek help & now i'm there.there is no backing down.
    I appreciate it may sound strange to people within the profession but I seriously feel that it has held me back in life....i could of ruled the world with a set of good looking teeth.
    How i will pay for them only God knows........
    I will inform any updates along the way.

Ok, I saw my dentist yesterday.........he said he would try whitening first so I have agreed to give that a go.
    I said that I have read that the results were mixed with tetracycline staining & he said that he had had some good results. I fancied the in shop treatment but he advised that the home kit could achieve equal results & was cheaper so I took him at his word & that is where I am at.
    My kit should be ready for next Monday.
    He even agreed to split the difference if i wasnt happy with the home kit results.

Maybe this should be moved to the "Teeth Whitening" but i'm sure the moderators will do this if needs be.

I collected my trays, got shown how to use them & after 2 days my present train of thought is that it is the worst £350 i have ever spent..(& believe me, i have wasted a lot of money in my life)

Maybe its an over reaction on my part & I will feel better as time goes on (I will complete the 14 days) but my main gripes would be:-

1) gums very tender.
    2) pains in teeth during the daily bleaching..(not extremely severe but enough to make you wince)
    3) An excessive production of saliva at the initial insertion of the trays which makes you feel like you need a spit bucket!!

As i say, it may improve & I dont have any discomfort in the teeth the next day nor any real sensitivity.
    So maybe what i am experiencing is normal. However, if i would have know this at the time I would have paid the extra & had the 1-1/2 hour treatment done at the dentists even though that would have left me without trays for future top-ups.

Oh, & the product i am using is Day White ACP 9.5%

So,
    After a couple of weeks of home bleaching there was a definite improvement.
    I was quite happy.However, my dentist was a litle dissapointed & thought we could do better.
    So, after a couple of weeks break I have just been to see him & he has "sand blasted" (obviously not the correct phrase) my teeth & given me another weeks supply of bleach & is hopeful we may see a further improvement.

The sensitivity whilst bleaching is still an issue (not enough to put me off but not entirely comfortable)
    Any other gripes I had during my previous posts are quickly forgotten.

Keep it up Ponface
    Home bleaching will help 95% of people in your situation. Symptoms are transitory and will disappear about 48hrs after you stop the treatment.
    I have seen remarkable results in heavily tetracycline stained teeth with whitening but it just takes a while longer
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Ive just joined this forum, and your story may have changed, but I have near enough the same experience as you. I am 49 and have had to deal with grey teeth since my adult teeth came through.I have had some of my top teeth crownd to cover the discolouration, but still try and hide my bottom teeth all the time.
    I have a broken crown at the moment and have been informed by my so called NHS dentist that they cannot do crowns on the NHS. They say it will cost between £275 and £330 to repllace.
    Like you, I think we have gone through enough in our lives, putting up with grey teeth. Through no fault of our own.
    Is ther any help from the NHS for people with tetracycline stained teeth????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
    I have tried whitening, but the stain is right through the teeth, so doesnt work for me
    Ive also been told because of my overbite, that veneers on my bottom teeth would just keep popping off.
    Hope someone out there can help us.