Default Veneer Advised By NHS Dentist.

I chipped my top front tooth on my lip piercing. The chip is fairly noticable, but isn't huge, but it has created a gap between my two front teeth. After visiting the dentist today he has advised me that I need a veneer fitted. I have an appointment for tomorrow to get the tooth prepared and measured.

I just want to know whether I can ask for a white filling instead. The dentist didn't explain what a veneer was, and after researching I am not sure I want one.

Will the dentist allow me to change the treatment and get a filling or is a veneer my only option now my appointment is booked?

Thanks in advance.

Hi what did you decide to do in the end? I have only joined today, otherwise i would have replied sooner!

Hi Joanna,

Well, I convinced him to give me a white filling instead for now as I was going away on holiday and didn't want to go away with a temporary veneer in. But he booked me an appointment for two weeks time to come and get the veneer. He is rather obsessed!

I tried to explain that I don't want more of my tooth taken away, just to put a veneer on it. But he just won't listen to my opinion. The white filling looks fine and I'm really happy with it but he wants to pull it out to replace it with the veneer still.

I'm seriously considering changing to another dentist, he scares me a little!

Thanks for replying!

If you have concerns I recommend that you speak to your dentist. Noone can force you to have any treatment done. I would ask why specifically he recommends a veneer and what would happen if nothing was done, particularly if you are now happy with the result you have

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy