Default Old stained veneers....Help !!!

Nearly 20 yrs ago I had veneers put on my front teeth on the NHS. Initially I was delighted with the results they reduced a small gap between my top two teeth and were aesthetically more pleasing. At that time I would have all my dental work done under general anaesthetic as I have a needle phobia , since the general anaesthetic has not been available for dental work I have not visited a dentists.
    Now my gums have receeded a little and the fit isnt as good as it was but more terrible is that the edges of the veneers by the gum line has become a horrible dark brown colour which now looks so terrible I am so conscious of this and no longer wish to smile or laugh in public ! So I bit the bullet and after waiting 3 months for an appointment with an NHS dentist I finally had my appointment I need a couple of fillings which I am going to have done at the surgery or if this proves impossible because of my phobia under sedation at the local dental hospital, however when I explained that my priority was my awful looking front teeth I was told this was a cosmetic issue and not covered by the NHS !!!
    I'm pretty angry as I'll never be in a financial position to afford to have this fixed as I think I will have to have 6 replacement veneers !!! The potential for this occuring was never explained at the time I had this done or I would not have gone ahead. So now in essence I've had a slightly better smile for 15 years in exchange for a horrible one for for the rest of my life..... Any advice about what I can do will be greatly appreciated !

Its cause cold be your eating habit or your hygiene. I advice you to go to a near dentist as soon as possible.

I have been to the dentists ! He said that it's the bonding which has become stained and was probably hidden under my gums at first making it difficult to clean but as my gums have receeded it's been exposed!!