Default Veneer Replacement after Braces

Hi there,
    I recently had a Six Month Smile white brace fitted for 5 months on my top teeth. I have one veneer fitted to my front incisor that has been on for almost 15 years. This was put on when I was a teenager by my NHS dentist as my front tooth had some staining to it. I've never had any problems with it but since having my braces it seems to have darkened in shade and in some lights looks a fair bit darker to my other teeth. My braces are now off and my teeth are lovely and straight but I feel like replacing my veneer is the next step to take. Firstly, do you have any idea why this shade change would have occured since I had the brace on and do you think that having it replaced will cause any problems? It isn't loose so I think it will need drilling off. I plan on getting it done privately by the same dentist who fitted my brace as I don't really trust the NHS to get it looking perfect! I was just wondering if anyone had any idea why this shade change would have occured? My teeth are healthy and clean and I don't have any problems with my gums or with any kind of tooth ache. Before my brace was put on, my dentist Xrayed my veneered tooth and said that it was healthy and there were no problems with it.

Anna

Can anyone help me with this?

hello anna,

this is a difficult one without seeing the tooth but it is likely that the tooth behind the veneer has darkened and this could be for a number of reasons. When teeth have undergone rootcanal treatment or have "died" they tens to darken. certain medications can cause darkening.

Did you have teeth whitening after your 6 month braces? if so then there is the possibility that your veneer looks darker as veneers do not respond to whitening.

My advice would be to see the private dentist who fitted your 6 month braces and get an opinion as to why the tooth is darker, perhaps you will need another x-ray as it may have been some time since your last xray. A good cosmetic dentist will tell you why the tooth has darkened and also offer you a solution to the problem. If you veneer is 15 years old the modern materials used in veneers today will look much better.

Also if you are considering whitening your teeth I would have them whitened first and then have a veneer fitted to mach the colour of your whitened teeth.

im sorry i couldn't be of more help. please do comeback here and let us know how you get on and what the reason for your darkened tooth was id be curious to find out and it will help other people in the future
    admin