Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Just had veneer done

Hi all i'm new to this and hope i am in the right place

My front teeth are a little eroded with one of my front teeth more so, it looked a little unsightly and had a very small chip.

I mentioned to my dentist that I was considering veneers after doing some reasearch, she had a look and said the erosion wasn't as bad on the other teeth and that she could do a veneer on nhs on the slightly chipped front tooth. She explained it would look natural etc

I decided on a shade lighter than my own teeth as i plan on getting my stained teeth whitened to match it.

Just had it fitted today and explained to the dentist that i didn't realise it would look so odd and be so bulky. I know its new and feel odd and have been told that that feeling will subside but it still looks odd.

It is about 2mm longer than my other teeth (she explained this was due it having to overlap the edge of my tooth) and kinda sticks out to the side, and has an sharpish edge at the top and side where it sits on my natural tooth, way more bulky than I thought veneers were and to be honest if i knew it would look so odd I wouldn't have had it done.

Sorry to go on and I know its hard to explain when you can't see it but imagine the difference a cheap 99p pack of false stick on nails would look compared to a nice natural overlay.

What i'm asking i suppose is Is this normal? I think my dentist charges about £500 for a veneer and to be honest if i had paid for this i would not be at all impressed (i know some may say that having it done on nhs i am lucky). Am wondering also is because when i have done research i have maily seen full sets of veneers done..but they never seem to have the gap at the top where you can see part of the natural tooth....

Can anyone advise? I feel now like I might just want a full set doing top and bottom but will take me a good while to save for it

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Placing one single veneer can be one of the most challenging cosmetic procedures as it is sometimes difficult to match it to the other teeth.

At our practice, we ensure that we have a joint consultation with our lab technician for any cosmetic case to prevent this sort of problems.

Please be aware that there are only certain practices that can offer this kind of service. NHS practices may find this particularly difficult to do .

I would recommend you went back to your dentist and explained your concerns and see what can be done.

I hope this is helpful, it can be very difficult to give a thorough explanation without looking at the case and the history.

Kind Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Hi raha

i will be honest, after having some time to calm down and think about it i agree with you that it must be so difficult to do a single veneer, also the join is only noticable if i really bare my teeth (something i don't really go around doing lol)

I think i may just need time to get used to it, thanks ever so much for replying

Hi Cheddar,

Raha is right about a single veneer being the most difficult treatment to do. In my opinion the NHS will never be able to achieve an excellent result as they are restricted as to which labs they can use.

Whenever I do single veneers, it involves 2 trips for patients down to see my technician so that we can assure we get an excellent result. When done correctly, you should not be able to distinguish them from natural teeth

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

I see, my dentist does private and nhs work but i guess i may have got the lower version if i wasn't paying.

Would it be possible for another dentist to remove this one and replace with a superior one or is that impossible to tell without seeing the work?

regards

yes, veneers can be removed and replaced with new ones.

The stages usually invoved in doing this would be:
    1- initial consultation
    2-removal of old veneer, re-preparation of tooth to be veneered, then we would take a mould of your teeth, then we would place temporary veneers

in the meanwhile we advise our patients to go to our lab for shade matching, so we can ensure that the veneers resembles the natural teeth as much as possible.

3- removal of temporaries and fit of permanent veneers

hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 04-04-2008 at 06:32 AM.

www.dental-suite.co.uk

thank you ever so much for your help and advice

I am just trying to see if i can get anywhere in my area that has maybe a free consultation and good reputation, not sure where i can find this info from as i don't know anyone else who has had cosmetic dentistry in my area...

Am wondering what the cost of this might be - i assume it would vary have heard people mention veneers costing as little as £295 up to £700+ per tooth...

Costs vary and you are right in saying they can vary from £250 to £700.00+.
    The average price for high quality cosmetic veneers is around £500.00 per veneer

What area do you live in? Let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Kind Regards

Raha
    Last edited by Dr Sepehrara; 04-04-2008 at 08:21 AM.

www.dental-suite.co.uk

hi again

i thought £500 for good quality was about right, i live in bolton near manchester, hope this helps

please check your private messages

www.dental-suite.co.uk