Default Empress vs Felspathic

Hi

I've always hated my front tooth, it's always had a stain on it, and in the past I think my dentist pasted a resin on it.

I've discussed some options with my dentist - bonding and contouring - but he doesn't feel that will get the result I really want. We have discussed Felspathic and Empress. Obviously there is a cost difference between the two, and I'm really at a loss of which ones to go for.

My dentist believes in 2, 4 6 or more for vaneers, and he recommends 4, but given that the cost difference is nearly £500 I would really like some opinion as to which vaneer is the best for my circumstances.

The result I would like is to get rid of the dark on my front tooth, the other tooth has ridges on it, so I would like to get rid of that, but I would also like whiter teeth, but without the "perfect hollywood smile" I would like them to look natural. My natural smile shows 6 upper teeth, and I am tentatively considering having 6 done (which would mean the house deposit is a lot lower than it should be :-) - but if I have whiter upper teeth, what happens with my bottom row? I am not pre-disposed to teeth whitening as I have a gag factor when I put a gum shield or something similar in my mouth - it takes a couple of attempts to get x-rays done. I also had it done at a beauty salon a couple of years ago, but it didn't really last, and I don't want to have whiter vaneers than my own natural teeth.

Any suggestions kindly accepted as the cost difference between Empress and Felspathic is 32%
    Last edited by MissChilli; 03-14-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Grammar

There are dozens of different brands of porcelains, feldspathic is one family with truly outstanding optical characteristics but it can be difficult to mask discoloured teeth with these. Empress is a brand name (the porcelain type is a leucite - sorry; materials geek here!!).

The question is not really down to which ceramic is used rather than the techniques and technicians to provide the best result.

It does not surprise me that beauty salon whitening did not last, there is no guarantee as to what the gel was made from.

You may do well to ask to see samples of your dentists work in order to decide what you would like to have done

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

usually 6 veneers look pants, go for 4 or 8,10
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Quote Originally Posted by prosman View Post
    It gives the typical Wallace & Grommit look
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

don't you know it, used to see a lot of it from D$nt*cs.... it just looks rubish
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Quote Originally Posted by prosman View Post
    Yes, my dentist did actually say 2, 4, 8 or more. Not 6 - he says that's how American's see us as having bad teeth!

I'm starting off my treatment with whitening early May and I think I will go for the Empress ones - my dentist feels that they are the better option.

Thanks for your responses

Cheers

Diane