Unhappy Temporary cement for a permanent veneer???

Hi,
    Yesterday one of my veneers fell off only two months after having them done. I went to my dentist this morning to get it re-bonded, and upon asking him why it had fallen off so soon he replied that it was because he had used temporary cement so that he could make any changes if necessary. This is all well and good, but he never mentioned to me previously that they were stuck on with temp cement and he had never said that at some point I would need them re-bonded with permanent cement. I'm not sure why he didn't mention it and do it at the post-op check-up a week after I had them done when I said I was happy with the veneers. Also, I'm finding it strange that when I asked him to re-bond my other veneer (still attached with the temp cement) because otherwise that would fall off eventually as well, he said there was no need as it wouldn't fall off! I pointed out that it was attached with the temp cement so in the end he agreed to re-bond that one with the permanent as well.
    Anyway, now I am feeling really nervous that they actually were originally stuck on with permanent cement and that he just told me it was temporary so that he didn't get any trouble from me for them falling off so quickly. This worries me as it makes me think they will fall off again soon.

Does anyone know if i's usual for dentists to use temporary cement on permanent veneers, and to leave it there until they fall off?

Smile

Using temporary cement is generally used as patients sometimes go away, after having veneers or crowns fitted, and decide that something needs to be changed, the shape is not right or the shade differs from your other natural teeth. As you have commited a lot of time and money into having this kind of dental work carried out, you are allowed to be fussy about it!!

By using the temporary cement, it makes removing the veneer/crown much easier, and your dentist can then make the relevant changes.
    Some temporary cements are extremely strong, and veneers/crowns can stay in place for a long period of time.
    Dr Sarah Fitzharris BDS (Otago, New Zealand)

Woodborough House Dental Practice
    21 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR
    Woodborough House

Thanks for your reply, that is useful to know.

No problem. Hope your treatment goes well
    Dr Sarah Fitzharris BDS (Otago, New Zealand)

Woodborough House Dental Practice
    21 Reading Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7LR
    Woodborough House

veneers are as suitable for long term provisional cementation as pigs are for flying
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)

Quote Originally Posted by prosman View Post
    veneers are as suitable for long term provisional cementation as pigs are for flying
    I agree with that!!
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Quote Originally Posted by prosman View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, you're saying that my dentist shouldn't have done this? When he re-cemented them he used something called dual cement which didn't need light curing (the temp cement was light cured). Will this be stronger? I am getting these veneers re-done elsewhere in the new year but worried they won't hold up until then! - Grateful for advice!