Default Some general questions about Whitening/composites

Hi guys,

I stumbled onto this forum as I have been contemplating getting a whitening treatment for some time. Whilst the alignment of my teeth are far from perfect, my true wish is to have whiter teeth as my teeth are very yellow and I believe a whitening procedure would boost my confidence. I have the following concerns/questions and would be very, very grateful if anyone could answer them:

1. Around 5 years ago I had composites created to close a gap between my two front teeth. I understand that these will not be whitened if I undergo a procedure so is there any way I could have them removed before whitening, and a new (whiter) set replaced after the treatment? If so, what might be the extra cost of this?

2. People speak of the ‘risks’ of whitening, what are these? Does the whitening process make teeth more porous? Does it weaken the teeth? Or make them more susceptible to stains?

3. Many clinics recommend that clients undergo a ‘top up’ at some point following the initial procedure in order to maintain the level of whiteness. What is involved in a top up procedure? And how much does this cost?

4. I’m interested in a package that includes the Zoom whitening procedure along with the use of home trays. Is there anything that I should be cautious of in using the laser system as opposed to home trays?

5. I understand that whitening results are not permanent and that a top-up procedure is recommended (though I’m not completely sure what is involved, hence q3!). If the results were to last for, say, 14 months, would I be able to repeat the original process on a cycle? For example, to get another Zoom treatment and then top up? Would this give the same results every time or would the results diminish over time (perhaps to the point where whitening would no longer have any effect)?

Thanks again!

Hi

I'll try and answer your questions as comprehensively as I can, but some of the question are too specific to answer without seeing your teeth etc

-costs of new composites: depend on size of the filling and on the complexity of the filling

- risks of whitening: the risks are reduced when using products and methods adviced by a dental professional. Some people can complain of sensitivity after teeth whitening

- it is difficult to predict how long the results of teeth whitening can last and this depends also on your lifestyle, ie smoking, drinking red wine, coffee, tea

Hope this helps

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

[QUOTE=Merc;1384]Hi guys,

I stumbled onto this forum as I have been contemplating getting a whitening treatment for some time. Whilst the alignment of my teeth are far from perfect, my true wish is to have whiter teeth as my teeth are very yellow and I believe a whitening procedure would boost my confidence. I have the following concerns/questions and would be very, very grateful if anyone could answer them:

1. Around 5 years ago I had composites created to close a gap between my two front teeth. I understand that these will not be whitened if I undergo a procedure so is there any way I could have them removed before whitening, and a new (whiter) set replaced after the treatment? If so, what might be the extra cost of this?

2. People speak of the ‘risks’ of whitening, what are these? Does the whitening process make teeth more porous? Does it weaken the teeth? Or make them more susceptible to stains?

3. Many clinics recommend that clients undergo a ‘top up’ at some point following the initial procedure in order to maintain the level of whiteness. What is involved in a top up procedure? And how much does this cost?

4. I’m interested in a package that includes the Zoom whitening procedure along with the use of home trays. Is there anything that I should be cautious of in using the laser system as opposed to home trays?

5. I understand that whitening results are not permanent and that a top-up procedure is recommended (though I’m not completely sure what is involved, hence q3!). If the results were to last for, say, 14 months, would I be able to repeat the original process on a cycle? For example, to get another Zoom treatment and then top up? Would this give the same results every time or would the results diminish over time (perhaps to the point where whitening would no longer have any effect)?

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Dear Merc,

In reply to your questions:
    1. This is hard to answer with seeing you! I would guess that either the composites may need to be removed before whitening starts (if they cover the facial aspect of the tooth) or if they are just on the edges of the teeth they could be replaced afterwards. Depending on the size and difficulty involved I'd be looking to charge somewhere in the region of £100-250. Obviously, I'm not sure as I havent seen them!

2. Tooth whitening has had intensive clinical trials and even a Gold Standard Cochrane Review, all these found tooth whitening to be perfectly safe. It does not weaken the teeth and it does not make tooth decay and more or less likely. It just makes them white! If i didint think it was safe I would have whitened my own teeth!

3. Top up procdeures vary alot on the individual dentists tecnhiques. I tell my patients that they may need to use their trays again for 3-5 nights in 1-2 years time to maintain their shade. I have had some patients who wanted REALLY REALLY WHITE teeth! These patients need to top up almost once a month as they are almost off the scale in terms of whiteness and its not a stable long term shade. It depends how white you want to go! Sensible whiteness --> top up 1-2 year top ups. Jordan/Jodie Marsh white then top up --> once every 3 months maybe more!

4. With regards to Zoom make sure your dentist is adequately trained and the home bleaching trays you get fit well and you are shown how to put the gel in.

5. I dont really advocate a repeat zoom treatment as a top up unless patients do not like wearing the trays or have a wedding/important occassion in a few days time! I am getting alot of impatient brides lately who see me on a monday, with the wedding on a Saturday! These ladies have no option but Zoom2! treatments!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questiosn please drop me a line!
    DR NILESH R. PARMAR BDS (Lond) MSc (UCL) MSc (GKT)
    Masters in Dental Prosthetics
    Masters in Dental Implants
    http://WWW.DRNILESHPARMAR.COM

Implant Surgeon/General Dentist- Parmar Dental
    www.parmardental.co.uk
    Associate Dentist- London Bridge Dental Practice
    www.lbdp.co.uk
    Implant Surgeon/Prosthodontist- SparklySmiles
    www.sparklysmiles.co.uk

Accredited Gold Member British Dental Bleaching Society

WINNER BEST YOUNG DENTIST IN THE EAST OF ENGLAND PRIVATE DENTISTRY AWARDS 2009