Default At home whitening trays, lab made bought off net anygood?

Hello eveyone, I've just found this forum today after searching the internet re. teeth whitening and am a little confused so any advice appreciated!
    Basically I am having replacement crowns on my top 2 front teeth by the NHS as I have a baby under 12 months. I am unhappy with the colour of my teeth and want to get them whitened prior to having my new crowns (end July). Went to dentist yesterday and discussed the take home trays which will cost me £350 at my dentists. I've found similar on the internet for around £100 which give you custom made lab trays (by impressions formed at home with a kit) and whitening gel and claim to be the same as dentists. Anyone used these? I'm very tempted to buy off the internet as it's £250 cheeper, what do you think? Is the gel what the dentists use? Are the trays as good, is it worth paying an extra £250 just for my dentist to make the impressions? If I do buy off the net what should I be looking for? I'm confused with all the different % gels on offer, which one do I go for?
    Need to come to a decision pretty quick, dentist or DIY as I need to have completed the whitening by 20th July when I go for my first crown appointment (can't re-schedule as baby is 12months end July). Money is tight at the minute and I would be using savings for the dentist whitening and therefore very tempted for the DIY internet buy! Please help
    Thanks in advance
    Emma x

Hi Emma,

I can certainly understand your concerns. It is illegal for anyone other than a dentist to prescribe the whitening gel. Theoretically you could achieve the same result if you used tha same materials and took your impression to the same quality as a dentist would.

It would be much better for your to have your dentist whiten your teeth. I would also like to make you aware it is unlikly your NHS dentist could colour match your teeth perfectly on the NHS given the limitations of the loabs they can use. This is not to say you would be unhappy with the results. I hope you can appreciate my thought processes

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy