Default Teeth whitening methods: a few questions

I have recently decided to get my teeth whitened. I'd be grateful for any advice and personal recommendations regarding the various methods available. (I'm new here, sorry if these questions are a little simple...)
    Bit of background, I'm 30 years old and would like my teeth to be whiter. I confess that I spent a good portion of the last decade gorging on vin rouge, espressos, haribo tangfastic and tizer (among other things). Oh, and a shed load of Marlboro reds too...,
    But that's all stopped now. Fortunately I haven't fully developed full- blown gnarled troll-like teeth, but they've definitely got a weary jaundiced look about them.

Question 1: Of all the top-end laser whitening products, is there a clearly superior brand or method that's worth shelling out a bit more for? I see that some of the expert dentists rave about enlighten, whilst others are trumping zoom...

Question 2: If my teeth aren't that grubby to start with, would using an at-home formula give really white teeth or Is it only the top-end regimes that can achieve this? Does the chat about a (relatively cheap) product resulting in a '6' or '8' point increase on the brightness scale mean just that, or does it depend on what the starting point is?

Question 3: What, in your experience, is the most durable and long lasting treatment?

Question 4: Any suggestions on where to seek / avoid cosmetic dental treatment in Scotland, or the Edinburgh area if being precise. I know most users on this forum probably reside a bit further south from here and won't, but i thought I'd ask anyway.

I will be very grateful for any answers, advice, suggestions regarding these points. I 'm sure you get what you pay for but I'm also a Scot and a tight arse. If there are any recommendations on reasonably priced products that work well (without dissolving your face if possible...!) they will always be welcomed too.

Cheers

enlighten is excellent but home bleaching from a dentist works well and is the most economic
    Dr Nick Fahey BDS (NZ), MCLIN DENT PROS (London), FRACDS, MRD RCS (Edin) Pros, MFDS RCS (Eng)