Page 2 of 2 First 12

soft bite guards have been shown to increase clenching and grinding habits and actually can cause more damage by promoting clenching during the daytime when you are not wearing the guard. It does so by "teaching" your jaw to squeeze the soft material, which becomes a habit.
    Hi Dr. Khaira,

You are so right, I find I am clenching in the daytime now as well and I wasn't aware of doing that before. The hard plastic guard you mention sounds a much better idea, especially if it fits over a few teeth instead of the whole upper set which tends to make me gag! Many many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

One last question, please ~ since leaving off the night guard because of the flu bout, it looks as though I might have fractured a lower front crown. This is strange as the front bottom teeth don't meet the top teeth, but sit just behind then when my mouth is closed so I don't know how it could have happened. In fact I cant even break off a cotton thread with these teeth, so don't use the front two lower teeth for anything much. I only notice it in certain lights, its like a bloom on the top of the tooth. My husband says he thinks he can see (with a magnifying glass) a slightly darker line running diagonally from top to bottom of the tooth at the back. All the crowns are guaranteed for 10 yrs, and the implant for 5yrs, as long as I return to the European surgery at least once a year, and I wasn't planning to go back till their winter is over! If it is a fracture, does it need to be seen to immediately or can it wait? I wouldn't want to increase the risk of root canal treatment from bacteria getting in any possible fracture, or worse still an extraction and another implant!

Kind regards,

I would suggest you return immediately. You seem to be describing a mechanical problem and may need your crowns replacing. If this is the case it would be better to do it sooner rather than later. Hopefully it is a simple problem that can be remedied easily

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

I really appreciate your time, thanks for all your advice.

Kind regards.