Default A question to anyone in the know? re whitening and old crowns

Hi

I am considering having some cosmetic dentistry done, however i think the past work on my teeth may cause a problem.

I want to have my teeth whitened but i already had my front 2 teeth crowned about 8 years ago.
    This was done because my bite wore away the enamel on the back of the front teeth. The crowns i have fitted have a metal backing in order to protect them, i'm not overly sure whether this is completely necessary though. I only say this because the next dentist i saw said that this was a bit overboard. This new dentist then gave the two teeth directly next to the front 2 teeth some sort of white filler (?! sorry that's not the most technical of terms!) to prevent any wearing of the back of those teeth.

Ideally i would like to have my natural teeth whitened and then 2 new crowns fitted to match the new colour.

My questions are:

Would it be possible/recommended to get the new crowns without the metal backing?

What would happen to the old backing to the teeth next to the front teeth, the colour of this repair work i assume cannot be changed, would it have to be removed and replaced?

If i have the crowns replaced to match my newly whitened teeth, how easy is it to maintain the same colour in the coming months?

Would it be easier just to get veneers fitted?

And if you are still reading this I thank you! I hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks in advance.

You can have crowns without the metal backing as long as there is sufficient space to do so, all ceramic crowns require extra space.

Depending on the position, it may be necessary to replace the white fillings. Keeping your new colour depends on which system is used, some have the facility to keep the new colour others (particularly power whitening) do not.

Placement of veneers is never "easy" and should not be undertaken lightly. That said if you are suitable they would certainly be a good option. Do remember they have a life span on average of 10-15 years, with cheaper options lasting 5 years or so

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

I didn't mean to sound nonchalant about getting veneers, i just wondered whether it may be the better option taking into consideration the white fillings and the metal backed crowns.

Pav, I don't suppose you could give me an estimate of the cost of the 2 procedures; the crowns only replaced vs veneers fitted?

I will also take on board your advice about the gradual whitening rather than the one sitting method, i assume this will be less risky to the teeth and will be easier to maintain in the future.
    How much do you envisage this to cost?

If the prices offered at your clinic are within my price range I would consider travelling to you for the procedure if that is possible?

Thanks once again.

Without a full consultation it's difficult to give an accurate estimate. I also believe it would be best to keep this forum for information purposes. If you are interested feel free to click the link to my website and ask any questions via email

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy