Default My smile doesn't show?

So, I just stumbled upon this website today, and although it didn't answer my specific question, I have found it very helpful!

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what steps I should be taking, though. I'm 18 years old and for the most part, I am content with the appearance of my teeth. They are not completely straight, but they aren't crooked either. The problem is that they don't show. I'm not sure whether the problem is my lips, or my jaw, or what... my lips are average size but when I smile with my mouth open, my lips are covering the teeth so they are hidden and cannot be seen. (It basically looks like I don't have any teeth.)

A few years ago my parents had taken me to an orthodontist and I asked him if braces would help my situation and he told me that it would help a little, but that I would need surgery. That is all he told me, so it wasn't very helpful, and I don't know what kind of surgery that would be. I didn't take any action because at the time I was afraid of surgery and thought that the issue would leave as I got older.

It hasn't and over the years, it has gotten very bothersome. I'm going to see a dentist very soon but I just want an idea of what options I might have to look at. So, if anyone could please give me some insight or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by lauren; 05-19-2009 at 08:32 PM.

i have the exact same problem and it has been bothering me for many years now!! I never smile because of that and it makes my social life very difficult...I get sooooo jealous when i see other people smiling i just wish i could smile like them...i often get depressed because of that...how about you how do you deal with it?

Lauren, it sounds like the orthodontist thought you had a growth discrepancy. Which means your top and bottom jaws have not grown as they should. The surgery he suggested, if this is the case, would involve breaking your jaws and resetting them to a better position.

Without a full consultation it's difficult to say exactly what needs to be done

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy