Default Worn Teeth(Resin or Crowns)

If teeth are worn(dentin visible) how can you tell if it is sufficient to use resin in order to restore them or if crowns are needed? I am not eager to have my teeth filed down in order to have crowns put on them, it seems overly aggressive to me. The variety of opinions I've heard from different dentists is really suprising. What questions should one ask a dentist in making such a decision?

Which teeth are pressure bearing? Can resin be used to restore pressure bearing teeth? If resin is used which one would you recommend?

Are crowns uncomfortable? If crowns are used what kind are the most natural looking. Are different kinds of crowns used on pressure bearing teeth? Is there really a lot of difference between pressure bearing and non-pressure bearing teeth? Thank you.(Replies from more than one dentist would be great.)
    Last edited by dentin27; 02-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Wow, good question! Simple answer is there is no simple answer. Sorry to be contradictory but its true. If you are suitable I would have no concerns placing either veneers or crowns. If done well I would have no concerns about having my teeth reduced to make the restorations.

When done to a high standard, crowns and veneers feel completely comfortable. Tooth wear is a significant problem but there is a plethora of treatment options available. Limiting yourself to resin is not a good idea. It is important to use the correct materials for the appropriate procedures, be they resin, metal or porcelain.

The key as always is quality. If you have poor quality work undertaken, expect short lived results. I have recently finished a large reconstruction case where dentine was exposed in all teeth. The patient is now happy and can expect the work to last a very long time.

Due to the vast number of options available, it is really difficult to say more without a full consultation.

Rest assured that when done correctly, everything will look and function nicely

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Pav is correct in everything he says and I would echo what he says.

The only thing I would add, is that sometimes it is good to use a resin in these cases because it is reversible. But of course each case is different and each dentist will usually have a different approach.

The key questions would be:
    1. why do you have this type of wear and therefore make sure it does not happen again.
    2. if you are having a rehabilitaion with crowns, be aware that you will have to replace them in the future. Each dentist will give you a different number in longevity.
    3. Most importantly make sure the dentist you choose has a ground understanding in occlussion(the way your teeth bite together) because this will affect the longevity of whatever material you use. I STRONGLY BELIEVE THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE.

Kind Regards

Dr Bohara BDS MFDS RCS
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

I agree with Kal. Occlusion is key for long term success. I often use resin based material in a "trial" stage before moving onto porcelain. A heavy wear case needs to be done with exceptional care with no diagnositic stage being omitted.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Pav, its good to see we agree!
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Default Pressure bearing teeth.

I hope I am using the correct terms, when I say "resin" I am thinking of the material that is used to fill cavities(the newer kind not silver).

Can resin be used to restore pressure bearing teeth? Which teeth are pressure bearing? Thank you.

Resin (or composite) are what are typically referred to as "white fillings". Yes they can be used for load bearing areas but each tooth has to be considered. The load applied may be too large for the resin to bear and will cause it to break down in a short time. I do a lot of porcelain work and have superb results with it. Sometimes I'll still use gold where appropriate. Its a complicate process and I can't really offer more definitive advice without a consult so I can understand your concerns, problems and desires

All teeth are load bearing. They take loads in different ways and if Kal & I were to explain it you'd need headache tablets
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com