Default crowns or veneers?

Hello,

I've recently been to two different dentists for a consultation as I wanted to see who would be the right one for me as I need a lot of work doing and I'm really phobic, so it's important that I'm comfortable with them. However they both said different things so I'm now confused over who's advice to follow!

The first dentist said that I could have some fillings done under sedation no problem, the second dentist said he wouldn't recommend me having sedation as I'm on quite a lot of medication (propranolol his main concern) I need a lot of fillings and the thought of the drill terrifies me.

The first dentist also said veneers were an option when I'd got the pain sorted out as my teeth have been affected by me being sick alot, and seem to soak up stains much easier. She also said (very strongly!) to never let anyone put crowns on my teeth.

The second dentist recommend crowns over veneers as he said they cover all the tooth not just the front, so would be better for me as I have erosion from being sick at the back of my front teeth.

So I'm left wondering who to go to, I have to hurry as I'm in pain with my teeth,

I'm a little bit worried that crowns won't look as nice and natural as veneers would. Someone said to me we don't need a 'special' smile because we're not celebrities but I disagree I think we all deserve nice smiles!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Irene

Hi Irene

When you see more than one dentist for a treatment plan, it is very common to have different approaches and different opinions.

There is not always just one solution to a problem. Unfortunately, I cannot advise you which is the best treatment option without looking at your mouth.

I would recommend that you look at the portfolio of the dentist and their postgraduate qualification and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

To answer your last questions, both veneers and crowns can be made to look very aesthetically pleasing and natural (of course this depends on the dentist and technician used).

Best of Luck

Kal
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Thank you for your help,

Irene