Default Crowned tooth snapped off!

Hi,
    I had a second lot of crowns done about 5 years ago to replace old crowns I had done many years before that. Much to my horror, one of my crowns suddenly snapped off, along with the filed down tooth under it so I was left with a gap and obviously the crown couldn't be refitted as there was no anchorage. I have now got a denture there. My dentist has told me the crowned tooth next to it is looking very weak too and could very likely snap off too! Do you think having the crowns done second time round has weakened the teeth stubs? I am now dreading the other crown snapping off in the same way. Is there any way I could have the crown removed and have a steel post inserted before recrowning so that I can avoid it snapping off?

I would appreciate any advice as this crown is near my front and I would be horrified if it snapped off.

Many thanks,
    Jo

Hi

Unfortunately crowns can can fracture, and this is one of the risk factors we give to our patients.

If it is possible to have a post crown, your dentist would be the best person to speak to. Unfortuantely i would not be able to answer that without a full clinical and radiographic examination.

Remember you also have the option of having a dental implant to replace the tooth, but this will depnd on your financial budget and condition of mouth.

Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009