Default Makeover - top teeth only?

Following on from my other thread, I've seen a cosmetic dentist (very reassuring, BTW), and after the consultation, the suggestion was 10 top teeth veneers, an implant for a missing tooth and replacement of an old metal crown.

So the bottom teeth would remain as-is after a scale and polish (I think we agreed on whitening them, too). He said my gums were very good.

Is this common? I'd rather assumed the bottom set would be veneered, too. And there's the q of colour for the veneers - I presume colour needs to be chosen based on how well the bottom teeth come out after hygiene, polish, whiten, etc?

PS: By the way, I think I have to learn to smile again. It was very difficult to smile properly after all these years of hiding it. I felt as if i was gurning when I tried!

Hi

glad to hear things are going well!

You are correct in saying that the shade of the veneers is usually taken following teeth whitening so that the closest match can be chosen. The scale and polish is also necessary to remove any staining and to maintain the health of your gums.

With regards to only having veneers done only on the top - yes, it does happen. At our practice we do see patients who only need to change the appearance of their top teeth as the bottom ones are in good condition, therefore they only require tooth whitening and no veneers.

I hope this helps

Kind Regards

Raha
    Dr Raha Sepehrara BSC(Hons) BDS with Distinction

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire

Quality dental and Implant care

www.dental-suite.co.uk
    Winner of Best Young Dentist In the Midlands Award 2009

Hi Dr Raha - thanks for your answer. Nice to be reassured.

Really looking forward to the final result