Default Cracked tooth - bonding, crown, or nothing at all?

I have discovered what I think is a horizontal crack - a thin grey line - across the back of one of my front teeth. (The tooth doesn't hurt, exactly, but has been feeling periodically uncomfortable.) I have been to see my dentist, but, as I am pregnant, he wants to hold off on x-raying it. (He thinks it looks like a crack, too, but doesn't seem too concerned.)

I'm a little worried about leaving the crack alone in case it gets worse or the tooth breaks - would I be advised to have some sort of 're-inforcing' on the tooth, i.e. a crown or some bonding? (NB: the crack is only visible from the back.) If a crown, what would look the most natural?

Thanks for your help.
    Bella

Hi

It is impossible to give a diagnosis and treatment plan without looking at the teeth.

If it is causing you pain then the dentist will be able to take an xray after your first trimestar, to give a clear diagnosis. If it is causing no problems , then best to leave after the pregnancy.

There are a variety of crowns on the market, ranging from your porcelain bonded to gold types to an all ceramic type. What looks cosmetically better depends on the skills of the technician and dentist.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dr Kalpesh Bohara; 07-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

I would agree with Dr Bohara.

If possible it would be best looked at after pregnancy

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy