Default Choosing a dentist...

Just found the site after many years of neglecting my teeth...

Anyway, I've decided to get a thorough makeover, but I'm just not sure how to choose a dentist that has a proven and successful track record? I can see the site's list of local dentists, but there's no way to tell them apart. I think there's one that is a member of BACD, but I can't tell if that's a genuine quality-led organisation or a logo-led trade association.

Any advice?

Background is that I'm 46 and haven't been to a dentist for 20+ years (!) So I have an embarassing smile, with discolouration, gaps, metal fillings and crown, one missing tooth. No pain, as I've never been a chocolate/toffee eater or fizz/alcohol drinker. Like a lot of people, I stick to closed-mouth smiles - a confidence killer. I'm also a nervous patient.

I've recently moved to the Ipswich area (Suffolk) and was hoping to find a dentist who could talk me through the options independently - i.e. not just push me towards the most profitable products/procedures. Part of the problem is that there seem to be so many alternatives nowadays. I'm working through the guide here, but it seems difficult to work out which is appropriate.

I've wibbled on far too long...

HI,

it is like a minefield out there trying to find the right dentist for you, one that you trust feel comfortable and has the skills to deliver exactly what you need. You cannot rely on association memberships as a indication of how good an individual is as these are more support organisations for dentists rather than having criteria on members.

The best way to judge a good dentist is to do some research, take a look at their websites, give the a call ask questions ask to see a portfolio of their work. many dentists offer a free consultation so you can go in and see them, ask all the questions that you need and then make your choice later.

I think if you havent been to a dentist in a while - start gentle and go for a check up first and have acouple of hygiene sessions to get your teeth and gums in tip top health before considering and cosmetic work. I hope this helps

Admin

Thanks for the reply. Looks like only 2 have a website (one of them being the BACD-registered one), all the others are just listed as in the Yellow Pages.

Am I right in thinking that a dentist who does NOT do 'routine' NHS work is preferable - because they'll be more dedicated/experienced in cosmetic work?

Is there a particular type of proprietary treatment (CEREC) that I can ask about? Not because I want to choose the treatment before I know what I need, but because it will help me tell those who are more up-to-date in training/skills from those that are not?

Or maybe I should look further afield (I'm guessing that Cambridge might have more cosmetic dentists than Ipswich)...