Thread: Gum questions

Default Gum questions

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, so hope this is ok. Can gums that have receded be fixed? How is that done?

Hi

If a patient has receding gums then the cause of it has to be diagnosed first. This can be a number of reasons i.e gums disease, aggressive toothbrushing, bite problems, etc

Once this has been diagnoised then the mouth would be treated accordingly.

Mant patients ask if the missing gum can be replaced. In some circumstances this can be done by a tissue graft - but this is dependable on many factors.

I hope this helps
    Dr Kalpesh Bohara BDS MFDS RCS

View Dr Bohara's profile click here

The Dental Suite, Leicestershire
    High quality general and cosmetic dentistry
    www.dental-suite.co.uk

Thank you! If the problem is the bite, how would that cause the gums to recede? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to work out how that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SadSmile View Post
    Thank you! If the problem is the bite, how would that cause the gums to recede? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to work out how that could happen.
    We could explain it but the information would fry your mind! The mode in which this happens is multifactorial, not even all dentists understand it. Bite problems can put differential pressures on different aspects of your teeth, and its all about how your body responds in it's adaptive mode.
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Thank you! I have one more question (well, probably lots more, but one for now). Where the gums have receded I obviously have severe sensitivity and I also have some sensitivity at other places, like between teeth. My dentist (NHS) has given me very strong fluoride toothpaste to use to counteract this. Does this actually work?

And I read on the package that the fluoride increases the staining on my white fillings, and I can definitely see the edges going black. Is this true?

It can work very well. The staining can be removed very easily by your dentist. These products normally work within a few weeks. Do be aware some clients will have continued sensitivity regardless of what is done
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy