Thread: Please help !!

Default Please help !!

Hi, Im a very depressed bloke in his mid 30's and have suffered from grinding my teeth in my sleep for years now and stupidly never sought advice about it. So much so that now my front teeth on both my upper and lower jaw have worn away to half their original size.
    I am a patient of a local NHS dentist who informs me that even though my bite is completely wrong and I am wearing my teeth down every night this is a cosmetic matter and will not help.
    I wake up every morning with severe jaw ache, feeling like I have had three rounds with Tyson during the night but do not know what to do.
    I would love to get all my teeth sorted but have read and I may not be suitable for veneers as I grind my teeth and also I will be honest, a huge contributory factor is how many thousands of pounds it will cost me to get the work done.
    I really need some advice please as by the sounds of it I need surgery to correct my bite as well as cosmetic surgery to give me my smile back !

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help !

Grinding problems are not a contraindication for placing veneers. It does mean that the mechanics will be difficult to control, but it is possible.

You really need to see someone who understands grinding and bite problems. Your headaches are related to grinding your teeth and will disappear with the correct treatment.

Without a full consultation it's difficult to say exactly what needs to be done

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com
    Special interest in TMJ treatments, tension headaches and migraine therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pav Khaira View Post
    Grinding problems are not a contraindication for placing veneers. It does mean that the mechanics will be difficult to control, but it is possible.

You really need to see someone who understands grinding and bite problems. Your headaches are related to grinding your teeth and will disappear with the correct treatment.

Without a full consultation it's difficult to say exactly what needs to be done

I hope this helps

Thanks for replying so quickly.
    So if Veneers were not plausible is there anything else that can be done ?
    I know money has to be considered in every decision people make in their lives but my teeth are literally the last thing I worry/think about at night and the same again the next morning.Oh I wish I could win the lottery and so money was no object (By the way I wish I had a healthy smile like this little green fellow !)

Also with regards bite correction so I can bite correctly and not suffer from such headaches etc due to teeth grinding during the night, Is that not available on the NHS ?
    Surely that is not cosmetic but a more general dental problem !

Also does anyone know what kind of help financially I may be entitled to ie finance etc.

I am obviously concerned as even if I need 10 teeth working on at an average of £600 per tooth that would be over £6000 when consultation fees/possible sedation etc are included.
    Even if 10 months interest free is offered I think most would be like me and struggle to pay over £600 per month for my teeth even though I could not think of anything else I would want more.

Please help !!

Thanks.

Depending on the level of damage you could go for veneers, crowns, bridges, dentures or implants.

Again it's not so much the fact that you have a grinding problem that will stop any of these treatments, rather how it is managed

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

Depending on the level of damage you could go for veneers, crowns, bridges, dentures or implants.

Again it's not so much the fact that you have a grinding problem that will stop any of these treatments, rather how it is managed

I hope this helps

Thanks for answering once again.
    So to correct someone's bite do you build the rear teeth up with crowns etc ?
    Can you suggest if this procedure is cosmetic or could be done on the NHS ?
    Also I know its all hypothetical but could you give an idea of what kind of basic prices and finance are currently available out there (Obviously just a ball park figure for procedures etc)?

It's very difficult to say what needs to be done and the appropriate fees (even a ball park) without a full consultation. This type of work will not be covered on the NHS

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com

It's very difficult to say what needs to be done and the appropriate fees (even a ball park) without a full consultation. This type of work will not be covered on the NHS

I hope this helps

Kindest regards

Once again Dr, thanks for your time.

Please can you give me an idea of what finance is usually available or how the typical working man pays for such cosmetic work. As much as I would love to get my smile corrected and know for a fact it would improve my life ten fold there is not a way in this world I would be able to repay say £7,000 or £8,000 worth of cosmetic surgery in 10 payments .
    Obviously if there are no such finance options then I would have to look further a field at personal loans etc Thanks once again.

Finance options can often go up to 5 years, although interest free options are usually 12 months or less. The flexibility of 5 years helps very many patient have the work they want

I hope this helps
    www.migrainecare.co.uk

www.redskydentalspa.com