Default So scared awaiting surgery

Hi,Ive been scared of dentists for all my life and have not looked after my teeth has i should have.Consequently,over the years my teeth have rotted away and one has caused an abcess which ive had for 2 years.Last year it came through my face and after various dirty looks of public and constant weeping from my face have took up an offer from my dental surgeon to be referred to the local hospital to have a general.Now im so terrified of needles to be sent to sleep,the cutting up of my gums(even though i know i wont feel it),but above all the notion that im only young with young children and cant bear the fact that the risk of anesthetic death being too great for me.Im not chickening out,but im having nightmares every night over the 11th May and even wrote a letter to my wife in the event of the worse happening.I have all faith in my Maxificial Surgeon and Anaethetist but its whether the all procedure agrees with my heart and body as ive suffered high anxiety attacks over the years and receive treatment of my GP for this.I know ive gone on and i have a son who had openheart surgery at 13 days old and mine is nothing in comparison but still i cant help being terrified.Please if their are any sympathetic people on here who could post back some comments id be grateful.Fingers trembling as i type,thats how bad i am!!Marcus.

By the way it has been diagnosed as a trachey abcess.

hello,

it is a very tough time you are facing but the important thing is that you are taking the right steps to get your oral health back to normal. There are 1000s of patients out there that are completely terrified of the dentist and have managed to over come their fears. No mater what anyone says on this forum I know you will still be nervous however your surgeon will have explained everything to you and the risks of complications are so small that I wouldn't get your self so worked up about it.

Think about the final result, think about the positive effects this will have on your life and your confidence, social life etc.

It is very very important that you let your surgeon know that you are anxious about this treatment.

Please keep us updated here how you get on and your progress as there are lots of people in the same shoes as you that could benefit from reading about your experience.

Good luck

Admin
    admin